Feature request: On Air "Lock"

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

matchavez

Feature request: On Air "Lock"

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 1:59 am

Hello all,

I won't put a full request in here, but I ran into a scramble last night dealing with the fact a stream was sent "On Air" early and then turned off. This invalidated the YouTube streaming key… you can't just turn it back on again.

So what I'm wondering is if there's any way a software update can change the mode to where it's more difficult to initiate On Air? Like having to press it 10 times to turn on, and 10 times to go off air? Or, something on the Multiview to tell you what's going on?

As far as I knew, I was streaming because YT accepted the stream at the key originally programmed, but I had to USB into it and add a new key quickly. So maybe you press "On Air", and the Multiview then says "Hold down Auto and press again to start streaming" or MV has a countdown of pressing it 10 times?

I don't know. I just find it extremely fragile that if I accidentally press on air, I have to either stay up and running, or I have to reprogram a key into the hardware. There has to be a more "safe" way than to have a button in the device's corner that's easily bumped.

Thoughts? Someone I can relay this to?

Raphaël Jacquot

Re: Feature request: On Air "Lock"

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 10:04 pm

what hardware are you referring to ?

Xtreemtec

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 8:30 am

Looks like your talking about Atem minis???

On the Webpresenter HD / 4K there is now a Button Lock feature to prevent this..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 2:26 pm

matchavez wrote:Thoughts?
Be more careful. Keep the current operation.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

craigneth

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 4:09 pm

Yes, I believe he is talking about the ATEM Mini.

We've run into the same issue, but in my mind, this is more of a YT issue than a ATEM issue. Facebook, for example, has a way of setting up scheduled streams such that you need to 'enable' them on Facebook after you start sending data but before they actually will go live.

Youtube doesn't have that - once you've started sending data to scheduled stream it will go live and 'use up' the scheduled stream. In my mind, the ideal solution would be for YT to implement a similar kind of feature as Facebook does, where you could (optionally) require interaction with YT before it starts allowing viewers to see the stream. This would also allow you to verify the stream quality before viewers could see it.

For us, we've just had to train our operators to be VERY CAREFUL about mashing the 'stream' key.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 12:45 pm

4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 3:12 pm

craigneth wrote:Youtube doesn't have that
Is that a recent change? When I tested YouTube streaming a few months ago, I did have to Start the stream from the YouTube web site after starting it from the ATEM.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 3:15 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
craigneth wrote:Youtube doesn't have that
Is that a recent change? When I tested YouTube streaming a few months ago, I did have to Start the stream from the YouTube web site after starting it from the ATEM.

All depends on if it's a planned event or a streamNow event. ;) Planned events have a Go Live button so you can check your stream health in the back side before you kill the countdown clock and go live on YT..

Jim Simon

PostSun Aug 08, 2021 1:50 pm

My test wasn't planned. It was spur of the moment, generated as needed.

And there were several in a row.

All required me to actually start the stream from the YouTube web page once the ATEM was engaged.

But...that was a while ago.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

matchavez

PostThu Oct 12, 2023 3:14 am

I forgot that I'd posted this in frustration. Yes, ATEM Mini Pro.

YouTube has to reissue if it's a scheduled thing. We've gone away from that specifically to avoid the scenario. But I still think it would be nice to have an option where once you've connected, you can't go offline unless you change it in the software, or you press "offline" three times over 5 seconds or something.

Anyhow, I love that button flap. :)

Return to Live Production