Unable to launch ATEM Software Control

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TomC5991

Unable to launch ATEM Software Control

PostWed Aug 18, 2021 2:39 pm

Hi,

I am trying to control my M/E Production Studio 4K on my laptop and cannot get the ATEM Software Control to recognise the device. I can see it is connected by USB and Ethernet in ATEM Setup.

I have attached a photo of the IP settings that I am using which should be working!

Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_20210818_153438654-min.jpg
IP Settings
IMG_20210818_153438654-min.jpg (762.66 KiB) Viewed 11893 times

codedeltajames

Re: Unable to launch ATEM Software Control

PostWed Aug 18, 2021 3:31 pm

If you can see it on the setup application, the software control should also. Are you using the same software version on the atem and computer? Have you tried disabling Windows firewall?

The gateway IP is different in the two windows, but I don't think that should cause them to not see each other, especially if the setup application can connect over Ethernet.

CoreyVideoGuy407

PostWed Aug 18, 2021 6:29 pm

What OS are you running and is the IP Address you are putting holding after unplugging to do a restart?

adamtow

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 2:54 am

Your gateway addresses are different between your PC and what’s displayed in ATEM Setup.

192.168.1.1 vs. 192.168.0.1

Make sure the ATEM is plugged into the same network as your PC. If they already are, I would change the gateway on the ATEM to match that of your PC.
Developer of MixEffect, the best app for controlling your ATEM switchers using your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Silicon Mac: https://mixeffect.app

TomC5991

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 12:34 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all your responses!

So I have changed the gateway so it matches and disabled Windows Firewall and I still have the same issue. ATEM Setup recognises the ethernet and usb connection but still get the Unable to launch ATEM Software Control error.

I am on Windows 10 and the IP address is holding after I do a restart of the ATEM. The ATEM is on software version 8.6.2.

Screenshot attached.

Is there anything else I can try?
Attachments
NewIP.PNG
New IP Settings
NewIP.PNG (237.37 KiB) Viewed 11533 times

adamtow

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 2:46 pm

There might be another device on your network with the 192.168.0.51. Two devices on your network can’t have the same address. Try changing the last number to something else and see if that works. If you can see what devices are on your network, you can find a number that’s unused that you can use.
Developer of MixEffect, the best app for controlling your ATEM switchers using your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Silicon Mac: https://mixeffect.app

Nelson Villamil

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 8:31 pm

Hi Tom

Could you confirm if you open ATEM Software Control and can you see the icon in the Taskbar ???

Screenshot (7).png
Taskbar
Screenshot (7).png (29.13 KiB) Viewed 11366 times

or you can check in the process running using Task Manager

Screenshot (8).png
Task Manager
Screenshot (8).png (26.67 KiB) Viewed 11366 times

Some cases it is just that the programs open (let's say) "minimized" mode, you just have to maximize it.

If so, simply just confirm that the program is open and with the keys:
Alt + Spacebar

you open the window menu and you will see the option to maximize them

Screenshot (9).png
Menu
Screenshot (9).png (3.61 KiB) Viewed 11366 times

farmsm

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 10:50 pm

So, I am having a similar problem. Using an ATEM Production Studio 4k that we have had for a few years. Firmware is up to date (8.6) and has been running well in our network until yesterday. The only way I could connect the software control to the switcher was if I used a direct Ethernet cable between a Mac Mini and the switcher. I tried a 10/100 switch and Gigabit switch, changed Cat6 cables, and removed all other devices from the switches. I also tried a Windows computer without success. No matter what switch I had between the ATEM switcher and the computer, the control app would not recognize the device.

The strange thing is, when I ran a LanScan for the subnet (192.168.3.x/24), there was the switcher (192.168.3.250) and my laptop (192.168.3.160). The ATEM setup app worked fine and recognized the switcher via Ethernet and USB connection.

I am beginning to think that, due to the age of the switcher (4+ years old) that the switcher may be failing.

To recap:
Switcher 192.168.3.250/24
Mac Mini 192.168.3.160/25
Gateway 192.168.3.1

singingzoologist

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 12:54 pm

I am having the same issue. I don't think it's the IP stuff, I think it's the version of firmware on the device (8.6) not matching the version of ATEM Software Control (8.1). When I had the 8.6 version of SC, I had horrible flickering of the video in Zoom and Google Meet.

My workaround is to have 8.6 SC program on one computer, hook up my ATEM and set the chromakey, then unplug from that computer and plug into the laptop that I use for Zoom. I can't use any macros but I can switch cameras and my video doesn't drive my audience bonkers.

HOpefully I'll find a better solution soon but I have a paid show this morning and it'll have to do.
Lucas Miller
www.singingzoologist.com
Youtube.com/user/biorhythms
ATEM Mini Pro

mineralsound

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 2:25 am

Hi all,
I'm having a similar issue as well. Here are the details:

- I can't launch ATEM Software Control. Click on the program, splash screen comes up, then disappears. When I hover over the program I see a white screen, when I click on the program, nothing happens.

- Windows 11 recognizes the device and I can send audio and video over USB.

- ATEM Setup recognizes the device and I can adjust all settings in there.

- ATEM is running Version 8.6.3, software is latest update 8.10.

I had a colleague stop by who is much more knowledgeable in these issues than I am (runs large livestream events full-time), and after 2 hours of troubleshooting every possible option (connecting via ethernet, manually setting ports and gateways, disabling VPN, disabling firewall, reinstalling software, etc.) he couldn't find a solution either.

This is impacting my work because I'm not able to adjust mic/line level (so I'm having to run audio through my Pocket 4K in order to avoid distortion), and I'm not able to set stills to fade in/out to. This a known issue and there are multiple threads addressing it, so I really hope Blackmagic is able to find a solution or patch soon!

mineralsound

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 2:39 am

Here is a list of threads pertaining to this issue:

ATEM Software Control won't connect to ATEM Mini Pro | https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=147164

Unable to launch ATEM Software Control (you are here) | https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=146057

ATEM Software Control not working | https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=152440

ATEM Software Control issue (you are here) | https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=170307

Atem Software Control won´t work | https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=162462

ATEM Software Control is minimized at the bottom and wont op | https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=159332

victor957

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 9:37 pm

I had the same problem with my Television Studio, the card was found but the connection always failed.

In my case, the computer (with windows 10) and the atem were connected directly to the internet router and the atem does not have a usb connection.

Doing some tests, I discovered through [ping] that the IP where the atem was not accessible, as if it were in conflict with another device on my network, even though there was none.

I managed to solve it by resetting my internet router, as soon as I connected the card again everything worked again.

I believe there was something blocking the IP that Atem is using, like the zero network, this has been resolved.

Hope this solution can work for you too.

detempel

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 12:56 am

Nelson Villamil wrote:Hi Tom

Could you confirm if you open ATEM Software Control and can you see the icon in the Taskbar ???

Screenshot (7).png

or you can check in the process running using Task Manager

Screenshot (8).png

Some cases it is just that the programs open (let's say) "minimized" mode, you just have to maximize it.

If so, simply just confirm that the program is open and with the keys:
Alt + Spacebar

you open the window menu and you will see the option to maximize them

Screenshot (9).png

This was the solution for me!! Thank you so much. I hope this helps more people, it was just the window max thing for me..

Return to Live Production