ATEM Streaming Bridge and other streaming services

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tgray106

ATEM Streaming Bridge and other streaming services

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 7:05 pm

Why block anything but a BMD device from streaming to the Streaming Bridge. This thing is awesome, except of this fairly major drawback. Especially with the remote world we're in now, I wouldn't hesitate to have 10 of these things in my studio, but requiring external folks to each have a Web Presenter or ATEM Switcher seems bonkers to me.

Is there any chance this will be added later, if not really super soon. Please?

Or is there some trick to getting this to work? Just trying to run things via OBS, it obviously isn't sending signal, but looks like it's connecting at first. On the same network as OBS, the Web Presenter HD is sending fine.

Andrew Gibb

Re: ATEM Streaming Bridge and other streaming services

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 9:08 am

I am surprised that nobody has done a Wireshark analysis of the packets being sent to and from the ATEM Streaming Bridge so that it could be fooled into thinking that it's "talking" to a Blackmagic device.

There's always the Raspberry Pi 4 option -

Xtreemtec

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 3:29 pm

Andrew Gibb wrote:I am surprised that nobody has done a Wireshark analysis of the packets being sent to and from the ATEM Streaming Bridge so that it could be fooled into thinking that it's "talking" to a Blackmagic device.

OOh someone did try and failed.. We were able to send a RTMP stream into the Bridge but would crash and hang it self up within 60 seconds..

Problem is that FFMPEG and all other RTMP streams uses numbers for ID in header and BMD uses String to identify there own streams.

We have not been able to get FFMPEG to customize enough to mimic the stream header exact to what BMD sends out.. But that might be due to our lack of FFMPEG skills..

To quote:
To me it goes down to RTMP headers/metadata, as Daniel said.
The problem is that none of the available open source tools and libraries that do both encoding and streaming to RTMP destinations (meaning basically ffmpeg, gstreamer and ffmpeg based OBS that internally uses libav) allow setting arbitrary metadata values.
If you just want to relay the AMP stream to some place else apart from ASB then you can use nginx-rtmp with "meta copy;" and it seems to work.
The least lacking is FFMPEG, but it overwrites the "Encoder" field, which to me is the first level of validation. Gstreamer allows setting that one, but doesn't support anything else. Additionally the Streaming Bridge and AMP use non-compilant values for the videocodecid and audiocodecid (they are numeric by standard, whereas BMD uses strings).
Overwriting those isn't really rocket science (OBS has those features internally), but I can't find time to finalize my works, so if anyone's interested taking over I can share my packet dumps. And here is the comparison of AMP and OBS originating streams: https://gist.github.com/.../b66e2311211 ... 88e61d657c

https://gist.github.com/matiaspl/b66e23 ... 88e61d657c
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

tgray106

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 5:18 pm

It's so annoying because I grabbed the XML for the ATEM Mini settings and the server to get to the Bridge is just an rtmp... so why can't it just workkkkkkkk haha

I also saw this raspberry pi stuff but seemed like it would just be another money and time suck--- but never actually looked into it. Whoops. So for a fairly minimal investment and looks like a pretty easy setup, that's not too bad. May have to experiment now.

But BMD, PAY ATTENTION. Look what we're trying to do and maybe just allow it?

Andrew Gibb

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 11:28 am

How to custom build OBS to feed an ATEM Streaming Bridge

At the time of posting this, the solution was only tested on a custom Linux build of OBS.

Return to Live Production