Hyperdeck Studio Mini: why your videos aren't visible...

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ishootyou.com

Hyperdeck Studio Mini: why your videos aren't visible...

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 1:00 pm

File names for the Hyperdeck Studio Mini MUST be in UTF-8 format. No spaces, no special characters as used in many languages such as German, Swedish and so on. Instead of gaps, use underlines. We almost lost our minds trying to figure out wtf files would not show up on the HDSM despite the fact that technically they were in the right format. Honk twice if this was helpful.
------------------------
ishootyou.com
Teaching photography and videography in Switzerland

Raphaël Jacquot

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Mini: why your videos aren't visible...

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 6:12 am

ishootyou.com wrote:File names for the Hyperdeck Studio Mini MUST be in UTF-8 format. No spaces, no special characters as used in many languages such as German, Swedish and so on. Instead of gaps, use underlines. We almost lost our minds trying to figure out wtf files would not show up on the HDSM despite the fact that technically they were in the right format. Honk twice if this was helpful.

funny thing is... the files generated by the hyperdeck studio mini I have here are all named like

"Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini_0006.mp4"

with spaces

eMilty

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 11:43 am

Don't have a Hyperdeck at hand here to test this but I seriously doubt this is true. I did a quick test on a Video Assist monitor and this plays files with spaces and even Japanese characters just fine.

Could it be that due to the naming of files, a certain unsupported file becomes the first file (alphabetically sorted)? As far as I remember the devices will read the filesystem and sort the files alphabetatically and it will then take the first file. All other files have to be in the same format in order for the device to be able to play them. Possibly if the first file is in an unsupported format it will not play any of the files eventhough the rest is in a supported format.

ishootyou.com

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 2:28 pm

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
ishootyou.com wrote:File names for the Hyperdeck Studio Mini MUST be in UTF-8 format. No spaces, no special characters as used in many languages such as German, Swedish and so on. Instead of gaps, use underlines. We almost lost our minds trying to figure out wtf files would not show up on the HDSM despite the fact that technically they were in the right format. Honk twice if this was helpful.

funny thing is... the files generated by the hyperdeck studio mini I have here are all named like

"Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini_0006.mp4"

with spaces

Interesting. This isn't the case on our device and on one customer device. Same file, if I change the name it won't show up.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

ishootyou.com

PostMon Aug 23, 2021 2:32 pm

eMilty wrote:Don't have a Hyperdeck at hand here to test this but I seriously doubt this is true. I did a quick test on a Video Assist monitor and this plays files with spaces and even Japanese characters just fine.

Could it be that due to the naming of files, a certain unsupported file becomes the first file (alphabetically sorted)? As far as I remember the devices will read the filesystem and sort the files alphabetatically and it will then take the first file. All other files have to be in the same format in order for the device to be able to play them. Possibly if the first file is in an unsupported format it will not play any of the files eventhough the rest is in a supported format.

As I wrote above, if I change a filename (single file on the SD card) to something that contains a space and/or "funny" character like ø it won't show on the device. Once I change it back to 01.mov it's back.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

eMilty

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 2:03 pm

ishootyou.com wrote:As I wrote above, if I change a filename (single file on the SD card) to something that contains a space and/or "funny" character like ø it won't show on the device. Once I change it back to 01.mov it's back.

And is that the only file on the disk?

Ryan Wuckert

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 4:20 pm

Sort of off topic but.....is ther any way to get the recorder to use embeded meta data coming through the HDSDI signal to match the names of clips recorded to in camera media? Also..is this unit able utilize start stop flags over SDI to start and end recording?

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 7:29 pm

ishootyou.com wrote:Interesting. This isn't the case on our device and on one customer device. Same file, if I change the name it won't show up.

you may have to instruct the drive to reload the clips list with the telnet protocol

eMilty

PostFri Aug 27, 2021 11:16 am

I the meantime I've able to this on the HyperDeck Studio HD Plus and HyperDeck Studio HD Pro and indeed if there is a non-ASCII character in the filename the player will not see the file. Files with a space in the name do not seem to be a problem. But e.g. an u with an umlaut (ü) in the filename does not work.

Does clearly must be a bug and not intended behavior. Does anybody know if BMD has any way of reporting bugs, other than contacting tech support?

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Aug 27, 2021 3:57 pm

eMilty wrote:I the meantime I've able to this on the HyperDeck Studio HD Plus and HyperDeck Studio HD Pro and indeed if there is a non-ASCII character in the filename the player will not see the file. Files with a space in the name do not seem to be a problem. But e.g. an u with an umlaut (ü) in the filename does not work.

Does clearly must be a bug and not intended behavior. Does anybody know if BMD has any way of reporting bugs, other than contacting tech support?

I suppose, you could use 'ue' for 'ü', 'oe' for 'ö', and 'ss' for 'ß' in the meantime :D

Mouettequisurfe

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 2:48 pm

OMG
This is actually true!
I spent around 3 days wondering why my video files could not be read by my HyperDeck mini.
I'm French and my video files all contained "é" in the wording.
As soon as I removed the "é", the HyperDeck could read all the files.
Thanks a lot for this discussion!!
I would have never thought about that.
BMD needs to fix that insane bug.

Return to Live Production