Hyperdeck Shuttle Record Simultaneously

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

splitrocked

Hyperdeck Shuttle Record Simultaneously

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 2:38 pm

I have a Sony HXR-NX5U with a 128g flash memory unit and 2 SD card slots.

Does anyone out there know if you can record to camera SD Cards or Flash Memory Unit while recording to the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 at the same time?

What I am trying to achieve here is to record to camera in American standard 108060i while converting to PAL 108050i through the Shuttle. I plan on using BNC HDSDI for connection to Shuttle. Can anyone tell me how you choose codecs and PAL/NTSC? Is it through display button?

Excuse my ignorance with the Shuttle, I have never used one.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Ed

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle Record Simultaneously

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 4:24 pm

There are no conversion in the Shuttle (or any other BMD recorder) so the signal you are sending to it are the format you will be recording in. You must use a cross/down/up converter to be able to do this.

Hakan
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

Neil Richards

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 4:58 pm

That's not how it works.

You can record onto your camera SD cards in whatever format you like (e.g. 108060i) and simultaneously onto the Shuttle via SDI as either uncompressed, ProRes HQ 4:2:2 or DNxHD 4:2:2 but both will be at the frame rate of your camera e.g. 60Hz if in USA.

If you want to convert to any other format then you'll either need to do this afterwards (in software or with a hardware converter) or, as Hakan said, by using a hardware format converter (Teranex, Aja, whatever) between your camera SDI out and the Shuttle SDI in.

Note that for HD TV, e.g. 1080i/1080p, there is no PAL/NTSC distinction, since this only applies to standard definition TV. The only difference is the frame rate.

Cheers

Neil

splitrocked

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 4:38 pm

Neil Richards wrote:That's not how it works.

You can record onto your camera SD cards in whatever format you like (e.g. 108060i) and simultaneously onto the Shuttle via SDI as either uncompressed, ProRes HQ 4:2:2 or DNxHD 4:2:2 but both will be at the frame rate of your camera e.g. 60Hz if in USA.

If you want to convert to any other format then you'll either need to do this afterwards (in software or with a hardware converter) or, as Hakan said, by using a hardware format converter (Teranex, Aja, whatever) between your camera SDI out and the Shuttle SDI in.

Note that for HD TV, e.g. 1080i/1080p, there is no PAL/NTSC distinction, since this only applies to standard definition TV. The only difference is the frame rate.

Cheers

Neil

Thank you Neil. So I thought there was an option to record PAL 50i (through conversion) to the recorder if I am sending a 60i signal? Maybe I am not understanding the recorder correctly. Thanks for any further enlightenment you can offer.

-Ed

Mike Squires

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 5:00 pm

As noted, the Hyperdeck Shuttle does not do any conversions. It merely records what you send it, at the same framerate and resolution.

Return to Live Production