EDID for Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Voogle

EDID for Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 1:00 pm

Just an idea or feature request regarding HDMI EDID for Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G. I saw that I am able to name each converter using Blackmagic Converters Setup and really hoped that it would also change the HDMI EDID name, but it did not.

To go into details, then changing the converter name would/should change the name of the converter in a way that if you connect the PC to the HDMI IN port, the PC will use the configured name for Audio device selection and also under display properties. At this time it uses the name "Blackmagic".

But why? It would make life easier if you are running multiple converters from a single PC, for instance, a laptop and two external screens in PowerPoint - Presenter view and Slide view. Then it would show converters' names in the PowerPoint's selection and also if the presentation has a video then the audio output device could be easily set to correct converter.

Is it even possible, I do not know, since "Blackmagic" could be written to the firmware and can not be changed, but would be really beneficial.

And if we could edit the EDID file of the converter, then the rabbit hole goes deeper - forcing frame rate and resolution. For example, you could configure a converter to tell the host device that I only accept 1920x1080 at 50fps, and then the host device will send it, no more configuring presenter PC-s for correct frame rate and resolution.

tharden

Re: EDID for Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 9:39 pm

I completely agree with this comment. I have multiple HDMI>SDI micro converters (last gen) connected to a PC and it is impossible to know which is which (without utilizing an 'identify outputs' function). I was considering upgrading to the newer 3G models, but it sounds like changing the name in the Converter Utility SW doesn't actually transfer into the EDID of the converter.
Has anyone found any good workarounds for this (aside from using something like a Decklink card)?

Return to Live Production