Studio Camera Pro / ATEM mini ISO / talkback solution

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

nedferbel

Studio Camera Pro / ATEM mini ISO / talkback solution

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 6:42 pm

Hi,

Read the manual for the new Studio Cameras and could not find a solution. I wonder with them being new if the ATEM's have yet to catch up?

I am piecing together a studio with (3) Studio Camera Pro models all connected to an ATEM mini pro ISO. Here's my hiccup:

The 'Pro' version is $500 more than 4k, and even though there are a ton of features I might not use, the $500 difference is probably worth it for the talkback, XLR inputs, and better screen resolution. Problem is I cannot find a talkback solution for an ATEM mini. The ATEMs with talkback do not have the ISO recording features and that is a huge thing to be allowed to do, so I have to count those higher end models out.

The problem with the ATEM mini's are no XLR inputs and no talkback. Basically, with the ATEM mini, a director can control the camera settings as well as discreet audio settings from the cameras XLR's. I want to have that since we will have volunteers and students running camera and the less they need to know, the better. Having that finished Resolve project file for tweaking in post is crucial as well.

Is there a talkback system with pass-through or a solution anyone knows how to integrate? If the director is controlling video and audio at the switcher, I don't know how to integrate the communication headsets. It would be nuts switching back and forth between headsets.

Tried calling support, but apparently they require a serial number before assisting, and BMD 'sales' would not be able to help either, according to the operator. So, I am asking here.

Thanks in advance. Ned.

Xtreemtec

Re: Studio Camera Pro / ATEM mini ISO / talkback solution

PostThu Sep 09, 2021 9:51 am

Atem mini's dont have TALKBACK.

Go for a bigger Atem like the TVS Pro 4K.
Then you will have Talkback if you connect 2 SDI lines.

ISO recording can be easily and better done by connecting T5 drives to the cameras.
ISO recording on the Minis have really LOW quality!! Often not really use-able in my experience..

Or go for this and add audio to the Talkback connector.. >> https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-CST-09
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

nedferbel

Re: Studio Camera Pro / ATEM mini ISO / talkback solution

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 12:36 am

Sorry for the late reply.

I am going with wireless Eartecs for now. Intercom turns out to be less important overall than having the ISO recording option. The quality is fine for me...not going to be grading a lot nor doing anything where lossless codec effects and such are warranted. Most content is uploaded direct to master control, and by the time it airs it all looks like crap close-up anyway.

One idea about the SSD connected to the camera if one needs higher quality than what the ATEM ISO records, you could record the program with the ATEM, load the automated project file into Resolve, then replace the clips with the higher quality versions on the SSD. A bit of work, but not too shabby if you need an outstanding codec or RAW. The gamechanger is the Resolve project file. Editing multicam from scratch would take more time for sure.

I keep repeating myself, but the individual recording option and Resolve project file are crucial. I would not be surprised to see future BMD switchers with an ISO recording option with their RAW and down. I think Behringer screwed the pooch by not having built-in recording on the X32 digital mixer, whereas PreSonus did have it. I think this is a comparable comparison.

Return to Live Production