ATEM Software Control won't connect to ATEM Mini Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

K1ttyKat

ATEM Software Control won't connect to ATEM Mini Pro

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 8:25 am

My setup is:

- ATEM Mini Pro on a fixed IP and also connected to the PC via a USB cable
- Intel NUC running Windows 10
- All software up to date as at 10 Sep 2021

(All this is in a studio and the equipment is not used for anything other than using the switcher for conference calls.)

When I attempt to run ATEM Software Control I get the splash screen (indicating that I am running Version 8.6.3) but then nothing happens. If I hover over the application's red icon on the Taskbar it displays a small empty (white) screen as if the application is running but not displaying anything. Same if I 'Run as administrator'.

The application was opening and running fine yesterday. I was occasionally adding pictures to the library, etc. when suddenly the application wouldn't open. I hadn't changed anything in the configuration or on the network.

I can still contact the Mini Pro from my Stream Deck and an alternative iPad switcher application so I know that the Mini Pro is on-line, etc. I can successfully ping the ATEM from the PC so the PC can see it.

One slightly strange thing is that I have noticed that the version number on the ATEM Setup software is still set at 8.6.1 - but that may just be because nothing changed in the latest release.

If I start the ATEM Software Control with the ATEM disconnected it displays the 'ATEM Connection' screen with no switchers listed and as soon as I plug the Mini Pro into the network its name is displayed correctly - so the software can obviously see the switcher.

I have tried connecting it only by USB and only by Ethernet but I still can't get the software to connect to the Mini Pro.

I have tried allowing it to cool down. Rebooting the entire system, etc. with no luck despite the fact that in all other respects the switcher appears to work perfectly.

Very strange that it was working fine and then suddenly just stopped.

Can anyone help?

lmilhanjr

Re: ATEM Software Control won't connect to ATEM Mini Pro

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 7:04 pm

Yes, I'm having the same exact problem.
Below is the email I sent to BMD support, and their reply.

Hi Ryan. Thanks for the suggestion.

I noticed that my switcher software was indeed a few versions out of date, so I uninstalled the older version, and did a clean install of the latest version. I am unfortunately still getting the same results.

I actually did a little bit of experimentation, which turned up some interesting results. Here is what I found:

I launched the ATEM software control, and I decided to wait for a very long time to see if the software would ever come up. I set a timer, watched, and waited. It finally did connect to my ATEM Extreme, and the software came up and worked as expected, but it took over 6 minutes! The last several months I have been using the ATEM, the software control never took that long to come up. Previously, it took at most 2 or 3 seconds to come up and connect to the ATEM extreme.

Interestingly enough, I discovered that if I disable the TCP/IPv4 Internet Protocol for the computer on my network that I am running the ATEM software control on, the software control gui comes up and connects to the ATEM within seconds, just like before. But the conundrum with that workaround is that when I disable TCP/IPv4 protocol on my Computer, I am disconnected from the internet. So although I'm glad there is a workaround to get the ATEM software control working again, 6 minutes is a bit extreme, and I prefer to not have to mess with my Network adapter and disabling internet protocols to get the GUI to come up and connect within a reasonable amount of time...

Any ideas how I can get the ATEM software control to come up and connect within seconds (like before), but without needing to disable the TCP/IPv4 internet protocol for the network adapter on my computer?

See screen capture. If I uncheck that box for the TCP/IPv4 protocol on my computer, the ATEM software control comes up and connects to my ATEM extreme within seconds, as expected. But if I leave that box checked, it takes over 6 minutes before the ATEM software control finally comes up and connects. And like I said, this is a new development, as it never took that long before.

Ryan's reply:

Hello Larry,

Since our previous conversation where I mentioned that this was not a known issue, this has become a very known issue and we are actively investigating a fix for it for a future update.

Currently, unfortunately, there are no known workarounds aside from disabling IPv4 on your computer. You could try to disable your firewall altogether, however I cannot guarantee that will work.

For now, I would recommend keeping posted on the ATEM updates page on our support page for the next update for when we fix this issue. You can also check our forums in case others have discovered a workaround that is better for you.
Attachments
IPv4.PNG
IPv4.PNG (200.63 KiB) Viewed 7244 times

lmilhanjr

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 7:10 pm

So in summary, this is my workaround (I'm running Windows 10):

Disable TCP/IPv4 Internet Protocol.
Start ATEM Software Control - it comes up and connects to the ATEM Extreme within seconds.
Re-enable TCP/IPv4 Internet Protocol.

At this point the Software Control is up and connected to my ATEM Extreme, and I am able to use the Software Control GUI to switch cameras, etc, on the ATEM Extreme.

My suspicion at this point is that a Windows 10 update probably changed, or broke something.

lmilhanjr

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 7:14 pm

Also, another fun fact: the same exact thing happens when I start DaVinci Resolve. The Splash Screen comes up, and then it hangs indefinitely on "Loading Project Settings". If at that point, I disable my TCP/IPv4 Internet Protocol for my network card, DaVinci resolve then comes up fine.

I then re-enable TCP/IPv4 Internet Protocol.

This is a real pain in the a$$, let me tell you. Fingers crossed that BMD figures out what the heck is going on, and issues a fix soon.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 7:32 pm

lmilhanjr wrote:Also, another fun fact: the same exact thing happens when I start DaVinci Resolve. The Splash Screen comes up, and then it hangs indefinitely on "Loading Project Settings". If at that point, I disable my TCP/IPv4 Internet Protocol for my network card, DaVinci resolve then comes up fine.

This is a real pain in the a$$, let me tell you. Fingers crossed that BMD figures out what the heck is going on, and issues a fix soon.

wouldn't that be stupid windows firewall acting up in some fashion ?

K1ttyKat

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 8:54 pm

Thanks Larry,

I have tried your suggestion but on my ATEM Mini Pro nothing seems to work (and I have tried quite a few combinations). Importantly, when I switch off IPV4 and attempt to connect to the switcher (as you are doing, presumably over USB) nothing happens.

Clearly the USB and network connections are all working as they should. The switcher is working correctly as a webcam and other software can reach it too.

For me this is a slight inconvenience because i don't need to change the settings on the Mini Pro very often - but for someone who is using ATEM Software Control a lot this would be a complete show-stopper.

Blackmagic - I think you need to find a fix pretty fast or you'll have a lot of frustrated customers!

lmilhanjr

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 9:11 pm

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
lmilhanjr wrote:Also, another fun fact: the same exact thing happens when I start DaVinci Resolve. The Splash Screen comes up, and then it hangs indefinitely on "Loading Project Settings". If at that point, I disable my TCP/IPv4 Internet Protocol for my network card, DaVinci resolve then comes up fine.

wouldn't that be stupid windows firewall acting up in some fashion ?

It sure does feel like a firewall issue, but I've checked to make sure that ATEM Software Control is an allowed application through the Firewall. I tried to disable firewall all together, but the problem still occurs.

lmilhanjr

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 9:12 pm

K1ttyKat wrote:Thanks Larry,

I have tried your suggestion but on my ATEM Mini Pro nothing seems to work (and I have tried quite a few combinations). Importantly, when I switch off IPV4 and attempt to connect to the switcher (as you are doing, presumably over USB) nothing happens.

Clearly the USB and network connections are all working as they should. The switcher is working correctly as a webcam and other software can reach it too.

For me this is a slight inconvenience because i don't need to change the settings on the Mini Pro very often - but for someone who is using ATEM Software Control a lot this would be a complete show-stopper.

Blackmagic - I think you need to find a fix pretty fast or you'll have a lot of frustrated customers!

Oh bummer. Sorry my workaround didn't work for you. Very frustrating indeed.

K1ttyKat

PostSat Sep 11, 2021 9:50 am

Just a suggestion...

I thought I'd see if there was any third-party switcher control software that I could use as an alternative to the Blackmagic ATEM Software Control and I came across something called MixEffect which I found on the App Store on my iPad. It connects to the ATEM Mini Pro and allowed me to upload the media images that I needed. (I think it would also allow you to do this in the middle of a broadcast which might be handy.) It also allows you to do a range of other things and so may prove to be a useful workaround for anyone who is experiencing the above-mentioned problems. I'm finding this app is quite a handy way to have a second monitor for watching levels, etc. and although I'm only on the 30-day trial at the moment I may end up buying it (USD49.99 I think) even if Blackmagic come up with a solution.

(I should add that I have absolutely nothing to do with whoever produces MixEffect.)

lmilhanjr

PostSat Sep 11, 2021 7:47 pm

I happen to have an iPad laying around I could use for MixEffect. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion! This will make life a bit more convenient until BMD release an update to fix Software Control.

K1ttyKat wrote:Just a suggestion...

I thought I'd see if there was any third-party switcher control software that I could use as an alternative to the Blackmagic ATEM Software Control and I came across something called MixEffect which I found on the App Store on my iPad. It connects to the ATEM Mini Pro and allowed me to upload the media images that I needed. (I think it would also allow you to do this in the middle of a broadcast which might be handy.) It also allows you to do a range of other things and so may prove to be a useful workaround for anyone who is experiencing the above-mentioned problems. I'm finding this app is quite a handy way to have a second monitor for watching levels, etc. and although I'm only on the 30-day trial at the moment I may end up buying it (USD49.99 I think) even if Blackmagic come up with a solution.

(I should add that I have absolutely nothing to do with whoever produces MixEffect.)

CalvaryInverness

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 6:07 pm

I have the ATEM Mini. Also have the problem of it not connecting. I tried rolling back the windows updates and then doing a clean install. That did not help

Then I tried uninstalling my antivirus software, rebooting, shutting off defender and all security. Now it won't even let me run the install program at all it says:

"Windows found this file is potentially harmful. to help protect your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file"

Name Install ATEM v8.63msi

I reinstalled my antivirus software and tried it again, just for fun and still the program is blocked by Windows

K1ttyKat

PostSun Feb 13, 2022 8:01 pm

Is there any update on this problem?

Ridwan

PostSat Mar 26, 2022 10:38 am

I just have similar problem with the ATEM mini Software won't properly launch in Windows, only the splash screen and than nothing. I tried reinstalling and downgrading the version it still wont work.

Until I create a new user account, and install the software in the new user account, it working again. I hope it will fixed in the next update. I installed version 8.6.4

Blakkie27

PostSun Mar 27, 2022 6:57 pm

I'm having the same problem here, just started this week. The software control application doesn't work, if you hover over the icon it just shows a blank white window. Worked no problem last week. Any update on this?

Blakkie27

PostFri Apr 01, 2022 11:03 am

Ridwan wrote:I just have similar problem with the ATEM mini Software won't properly launch in Windows, only the splash screen and than nothing. I tried reinstalling and downgrading the version it still wont work.

Until I create a new user account, and install the software in the new user account, it working again. I hope it will fixed in the next update. I installed version 8.6.4

That worked for me too, thanks. Just created a new account on my PC (didn't even need to reinstall the software) and the control software now works fine?!?

mineralsound

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 2:45 am

Hi all,
I'm having a similar issue which I have been unable to resolve. I posted it in another thread which I've linked below, but here are the details:

- I can't launch ATEM Software Control. Click on the program, splash screen comes up, then disappears. When I hover over the program I see a white screen, when I click on the program, nothing happens.

- Windows 11 recognizes the device and I can send audio and video over USB.

- ATEM Setup recognizes the device and I can adjust all settings in there.

- ATEM Mini Pro is running Version 8.6.3, software is latest update 8.10.

I had a colleague stop by who is much more knowledgeable in these issues than I am (runs large livestream events full-time), and after 2 hours of troubleshooting every possible option (connecting via ethernet, manually setting ports and gateways, disabling VPN, disabling firewall, reinstalling software, etc.) he couldn't find a solution either.

This is impacting my work because I'm not able to adjust mic/line level (so I'm having to run audio through my Pocket 4K in order to avoid distortion), and I'm not able to set stills to fade in/out to. This a known issue and there are multiple threads addressing it, so I really hope Blackmagic is able to find a solution or patch soon!

In the hopes of consolidating, here is a list of threads pertaining to this issue:

ATEM Software Control won't connect to ATEM Mini Pro (you are here) | https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=147164

Unable to launch ATEM Software Control | https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=146057

ATEM Software Control not working | https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=152440

ATEM Software Control issue (you are here) | https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=170307

Atem Software Control won´t work | https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=162462

ATEM Software Control is minimized at the bottom and wont op | https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=159332

jibun no kage

PostMon Dec 25, 2023 1:40 am

So, is this still an issue? I seeing it on Windows PC, but the 2 Macs we have, access both our ATEM Extreme ISO and new ATEM TV 4K8 just fine via the network! Running latest Windows 10 updates and latest control software on PC and Macs. MacOS is Sonoma, with latest updates as of this note.

jwalkerjam

PostFri Feb 02, 2024 5:53 pm

Unsure if anyone found a fix but i remembered reading about deleting the contents of the autosave folder on a reddit post last year. I just ran into this issue again and deleted the contents of the autosave folder (in my user documents folder) and it instantly connected again via usb.

Return to Live Production