ATEM Mini Pro Streaming Cache Super Fast

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jstrickland471

ATEM Mini Pro Streaming Cache Super Fast

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 9:43 pm

We are streaming directly from an ATEM Mini Pro to churchstreaming.tv(CSTV). I am getting far fewer connection issues midstream now than I did with OBS. However, I have noticed something strange when a temporary hiccup happens in the connection between the ATEM and CSTV. On two Sundays now I have had a temporary interruption in the connection between the ATEM and CSTV. The ATEM uses cache to theoretically solve the issue of a temporary drop in connection. However, each time, when the connection is restored, the people live streaming view the cached content at about 3X speed. Once it is finished streaming the cached content, and catches up to the actual feed, everything goes back to normal. This pretty much defeats the purpose of caching. Is there a setting I should be looking at to ensure the cached content is fed to the RTMP server at the correct speed once a stable connection is re-established?

Frank Engel

Re: ATEM Mini Pro Streaming Cache Super Fast

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 8:28 am

That behavior sounds reasonable as it means that the stream is eventually restored to its minimal delay and the cache can maintain its effectiveness. If it did not behave that way, every time you had a hiccup there would be less of a buffer for the next time - the stream would continue playing out of the cache and the amount of time the cache is good for would be reduced until after a few such hiccups you would run out.

Jstrickland471

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 2:23 pm

Frank Engel wrote:That behavior sounds reasonable as it means that the stream is eventually restored to its minimal delay and the cache can maintain its effectiveness. If it did not behave that way, every time you had a hiccup there would be less of a buffer for the next time - the stream would continue playing out of the cache and the amount of time the cache is good for would be reduced until after a few such hiccups you would run out.

Forgive my layman thinking, but what is the purpose then, if it is going to relay the cached content so fast it looks and sounds like the live stream watcher is using the fast forward button?

Asgeir Hustad

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 7:41 pm

As far as I understand it, the flow is something like this:

There should be a cache/buffer on the server side as well. When the ATEM has a network hiccup, the stream to your users should be sent from that buffer. When the ATEM then has enough bandwidth again, it will send more of its cache to the server, which then re-fills the server side cache / buffer.

If the serverside cache is emptied completely, the stream will pause.
If it fills up, I would expect it to either drop frames from the back or the front of the buffer, which would create jumps and skips in the stream.
If there is practically no buffer, I'd expect to see your issue, where all the frames the server receives are pushed out immediately. But this is just speculation :D

Jstrickland471

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 3:33 pm

Asgeir Hustad wrote:As far as I understand it, the flow is something like this:

There should be a cache/buffer on the server side as well. When the ATEM has a network hiccup, the stream to your users should be sent from that buffer. When the ATEM then has enough bandwidth again, it will send more of its cache to the server, which then re-fills the server side cache / buffer.

If the serverside cache is emptied completely, the stream will pause.
If it fills up, I would expect it to either drop frames from the back or the front of the buffer, which would create jumps and skips in the stream.
If there is practically no buffer, I'd expect to see your issue, where all the frames the server receives are pushed out immediately. But this is just speculation :D

Thank you. That does make sense.

Return to Live Production