Web Presenter HD - User-Modified XML Files Not Supported

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Andrew Gibb

Web Presenter HD - User-Modified XML Files Not Supported

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 2:57 pm

I'd thought I'd let those of you who have purchased, or are thinking about purchasing, a Blackmagic Web Presenter HD know that, "for now at least [Blackmagic] do not support the use of user-modified XML Files". This comment is from Blackmagic Design EMEA regarding the Blackmagic Web Presenter HD. I do not know if this includes the Web Presenter 4K.

So, if you're using the Web Presenter HD on location and the internet speed cannot support an upload speed of 3Mbps and you modify the Blackmagic's supplied Streaming.xml file (supplied with the ATEM Switchers Update download) so that it streamed to YouTube at 2.5Mbps at 720p (which is still within the YouTube recommend bit rate for 720p video) and you had issues, then "as you are modifying the XML [Blackmagic] would not support the use of the modified XML."

So it would seem that the only streaming platforms supported by Blackmagic for their Web Presenter HD are those that ship with the installed/updated Web Presenter HD firmware, those XML files generated by the ATEM Streaming Bridge, or the Streaming.xml file that ships with the ATEM Switchers Update. Any user-modified XML files are not supported... "for now at least". I wonder if this includes streaming platforms that are not pre-installed on the Web Presenter HD, like Castr? (Step 2 - https://docs.castr.io/en/articles/4728916-how-to-connect-atem-mini-pro-to-castr)

It seems strange that user-modified XML files are not supported seeing that the Web Presenter HD Installation and Operation Manual (April 2021) has a section for Developers where is states,
    "Stream XML Block - The stream XML block allows users to configure the Web Presenter with a custom configuration file in XML format."
It's also interesting that nowhere in this manual, or elsewhere on the product pages, does it say that user-modified XML files are not supported. The Web Presenter HD's product page does state that,
    "If you're technically minded, you can even manually update the XML settings file to change specific settings or to add new streaming platforms"
...with no caveats mentioned.

More interesting is that Blackmagic encourage modifying streaming XML files, yet are unable to provide documentation on their XML format's elements and attributes to those who wish to make modifications.

The ATEM Mini Installation and Operation Manual (February 2021) encouraging users to modify the streaming XML file :
    "Even though the settings are nice and simple and you only need to select the service and a few other options, there is an XML file that has additional settings that knowledgeable users could take advantage of to add other streaming services and customize the streaming menu with low level settings. Refer to the ‘changing switcher settings/saving and restoring switcher settings’ section for more information on how to save and restore using an XML file." - page 49

"It’s worth noting that this file is a very similar kind of XML file used on ATEM Mini Pro for its streaming services. More technically qualified people can even open and make changes to this file if you have a unique or custom setup." - page 133
It's Blackmagic's prerogative to withhold proprietary information, but then why advertise the way they have?

eMilty

Re: Web Presenter HD - User-Modified XML Files Not Supported

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 11:00 am

I don't have a Web Presenter HD or 4K but it certainly works on the ATEM Mini Exreme ISO. I regularly modify the XML file to create custom settings and I mostly also include the name of the client in the profile name (shown in the streaming screen) to be 100% sure I use the correct settings.

Are you sure you modified the XML correctly? Is it still a valid XML file and are you using valid tags / values? It would indeed be very strange if you could not create custom profiles this way.

Andrew Gibb

Re: Web Presenter HD - User-Modified XML Files Not Supported

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 1:50 pm

Hi Marco, I guess I should have worded the title and the post a bit better. The original title for the post was going to be "Web Presenter HD - User-Modified XML Files Not Supported by Blackmagic Supportt" but there's a character limit on forum titles.

What I actually meant was that if you were to modify any of the Blackmagic supplied/generated XML files for the Web Presenter HD and then had any issue whilst using this modified XML then Blackmagic will not offer support because you are using a modified XML file. This, despite promoting the use of user-modified XML files with the Web Presenter HD.

The XML files that I have modified all work fine, but I (and others) would like more information on Blackmagic's streaming XML format's elements and attributes.

Return to Live Production