SDI record flag HyperDeck Video Assist SONY ARRI RED

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Vadim Schulz

SDI record flag HyperDeck Video Assist SONY ARRI RED

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 8:34 pm

Hello all,

can anyone confirm that any of these devices can handle the Sony, Arri or Red record flags (which could be HANC?):
Video Assist 7“ 12G HDR
Video Assist 5” 12G HDR
HyperDeck Studio HD Mini
HyperDeck Studio HD Plus
HyperDeck Studio HD Pro
HyperDeck Studio 4K Pro

I know from my own experience that the Video Assist 4K from 2019 detects the Sony Venice flag (although not always). And back then the BMD support said that this was the only BMD device that can record automatically with Sony Venice. The older HyperDecks weren't able to.

So what about the current recorders?
Can they automatically record from Arri and Sony cameras using the SDI start / stop record flag?
I also asked the BMD support but didn’t receive an answer.
I‘m looking for devices that can be bought these days (no older models like a Pix or so) and of course it could be any manufacturer. I know the Atomos can do it but it would be great if there were something else. And it just would be great if the BMD devices could do that.

I mean, is there anyone in the world who has tested this before or who can actually test it?

Thanks guys!
Last edited by Vadim Schulz on Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vadim Schulz, SOC BVK

christoff

Re: SDI Record flag HyperDeck and Video Assist

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 8:15 am

We have used record flags from arri camera's to start stop on video assist monitor. Can't confirm anything for sony camera's tho. Hope this helps.

Vadim Schulz

Re: SDI Record flag HyperDeck and Video Assist

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 8:25 am

Dear Blackmagic support,

That's not a difficult question. And definitely someone has the opportunity to just try it out if no one knows it!

It is such an important piece of information:
Do the current HyperDeck Studio models (and the Video Assist HDR) also support the SDI start / stop function for cameras from Arri or Sony or RED?

Thank you very much!
Vadim Schulz, SOC BVK

Vadim Schulz

Re: SDI record flag HyperDeck Video Assist SONY ARRI RED

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 5:46 am

Thank you Christoff!
I think the VAs supports it but I'm not sure about the HyperDecks which are also important.
Vadim Schulz, SOC BVK

Return to Live Production