Fluctuating ATEM 1 M/E Audio output?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jeff Klein

Fluctuating ATEM 1 M/E Audio output?

PostMon Nov 04, 2013 12:59 am

Hey folks,
We have an ATEM 1 M/E in our church that we use for overflowing services, recording, etc using the software control (no hardware controller). Our only audio input is the external input from our adjacent audio mixer (balanced). We have one of the Aux outputs set to program and sent to our lobby TV, which uses an SDI/HDMI converter to connect to a 32" Visio LCD TV (about 50' travel to the converter over HD/SDI cable).

It seems that the audio output on the TV is not constant throughout the services, i.e. at one point a 50-60 on the Visio volume is plenty loud, whereas at other times it's maxed out to 100 and still too quiet. The External input and Master output of the ATEM audio mixer tab does not seem to vary enough to warrant this change, hanging around our target of -20dB.

Are there any known audio issues with the ATEM 1 M/E or SDI/HDMI converter that could explain this? Unfortunately I don't know if this extends to any other output paths, as we do not have all of our cabling infrastructure upgraded yet which will utilize the other Auxes and the program output (which will feed our recording PC SDI card when upgraded). I plan to put some pink noise through the system and swap around aux and program outputs to test, and to monitor levels, but have not had time to experiment lately.

It also seems sometimes odd software stuff changes, so I wonder if this happens internally to the mix as well to randomly affect audio levels. For example, this morning all 3 auxes were set to color bars instead of program, and this happened between two services. Later as I was running a kids' award service and investigating low volume on the TV, and had made sure all the camera input faders were turned all the way down, and when I went back to the audio tab later, one of the camera input faders was maxed out. It was not enabled, so it wasn't an issue, but I sure as heck didn't put it there...and earlier during the awards service, I found the Master volume output turned way down.

So, any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Klein, DMC-E
Baltimore, Md

ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher (HD & 4K)
ATEM Advanced Panel
Record PC:
2017 iMac 27", 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, Ultrastudio Mini Recorder (TB2/TB3)
Control PC:
Win10 Pro Dell Optiplex 3050 Micro, 2.7GHz i5, 8GB RAM

Norm Clare

Re: Fluctuating ATEM 1 M/E Audio output?

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 7:15 pm

Hi. I had the faders on our Constellation begin to seemingly randomly change causing all kinds of audio issues. In doing a search to see if anyone else has experienced this issue I came across your post. Were you able to resolve this?

Jeff Klein

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 1:51 am

It seems to have resolved itself, but I couldn't point to anything we did that changed anything. I don't recall if it was maybe a software upgrade that resolved it, sorry :(

Jeff
Jeff Klein, DMC-E
Baltimore, Md

ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher (HD & 4K)
ATEM Advanced Panel
Record PC:
2017 iMac 27", 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, Ultrastudio Mini Recorder (TB2/TB3)
Control PC:
Win10 Pro Dell Optiplex 3050 Micro, 2.7GHz i5, 8GB RAM

codedeltajames

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 10:24 am

Norm Clare wrote:Hi. I had the faders on our Constellation begin to seemingly randomly change causing all kinds of audio issues. In doing a search to see if anyone else has experienced this issue I came across your post. Were you able to resolve this?

Make sure midi control is turned off on any attached software control computers. It's enabled by default and will automatically grab any midi output it finds and start applying those settings to the audio mixer.

Norm Clare

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 3:10 am

Jeff, was the ATEM operating in a warm environment by chance? Our rack gets pretty warm and the day we expereinced this the room itself as very warm. I'm wondering if heat may have been a factor?

Return to Live Production