Ursa Broadcast and CCU - still no 2dB increments?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

LouisBacker

Ursa Broadcast and CCU - still no 2dB increments?

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 12:48 pm

Running latest BM CCU Version: 8.6.3
And latest version for URSA Broadcast: 6.9.2
CCU Panel camera profile set to Ursa Broadcast 4K
Lens: Fujinon LA16 4K - the proprietary lens
Tested on 2 identical camera rigs

When the camera is under 2-way SDI control with the CCU I still cannot remotely adjust the Master camera gain in 2dB increments. The panel happily shows 2dB increments, but it's not until you hit +/-6dB stage that the camera gain alters and then it's predictably by +/-6dB. So you still cannot set the Ursa Broadcast to say +2 or +4dB.

Everything else works perfectly from the CCU (though zoom on the CCU is very jumpy and not smooth).

Anyone else out there got this issue still?
Last edited by LouisBacker on Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

Howard Roll

Re: Ursa Broadcast and CCU still no 2dB increments?

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 7:44 pm

Not anymore. The trick is getting rid of the BM cameras, then you don’t have to wait for firmware fixes that should have happened years ago.

Good Luck

Robert Kuzmanovic

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 pm

+1. Same issue, 4 ursas

Linden deCarmo

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 9:43 pm

I see the same behavior. The CCU increments by +/- 2db but no visible changes happen until +/- 6db.

LouisBacker

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 8:18 am

So Blackmagic, please could you fix this, as others here have similarly encountered this ongoing gain disparity?
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

LouisBacker

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 11:36 am

LouisBacker wrote:Running latest BM CCU Version: 8.6.3
And latest version for URSA Broadcast: 6.9.2
CCU Panel camera profile set to Ursa Broadcast 4K
Lens: Fujinon LA16 4K - the proprietary lens
Tested on 2 identical camera rigs

When the camera is under 2-way SDI control with the CCU I still cannot remotely adjust the Master camera gain in 2dB increments. The panel happily shows 2dB increments, but it's not until you hit +/-6dB stage that the camera gain alters and then it's predictably by +/-6dB. So you still cannot set the Ursa Broadcast to say +2 or +4dB.

Everything else works perfectly from the CCU (though zoom on the CCU is very jumpy and not smooth).

Anyone else out there got this issue still?

Just did the latest ATEM Switchers 8.6.4 update in the hope that this +-2dB gain control disparity had been picked up and addressed, but alas, no. It would appear no one at Blackmagic R&D has rigged an ATEM mixer, CCU and an Ursa Broadcast camera and found this out for themselves. It's fairly basic stuff.

Xtreemtec

Re: Ursa Broadcast and CCU - still no 2dB increments?

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 1:03 pm

Just to check. If you hit the gain switch at the ursa itself it will flip in 2db increments?

Also did you check if the Atem is also in the same Ursa Broadcast profile? So not only the CCU panel but Atem also has a setting for this. It's under prefferences..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Robert Kuzmanovic

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 8:03 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Just to check. If you hit the gain switch at the ursa itself it will flip in 2db increments?

Also did you check if the Atem is also in the same Ursa Broadcast profile? So not only the CCU panel but Atem also has a setting for this. It's under prefferences..

Yes

and

Yes

LouisBacker

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 9:30 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Just to check. If you hit the gain switch at the ursa itself it will flip in 2db increments?

Also did you check if the Atem is also in the same Ursa Broadcast profile? So not only the CCU panel but Atem also has a setting for this. It's under preferences..

I am on a studio shoot as I write, so I have this system in front of me. I have the Ursa Mini Broadcast 4K profile correctly set in the CCU and the same profile set on the ATEM software preferences (the latter of which you have taught me, so thank you).

The result is the same - controlling the Ursa Broadcast from the CCU, the camera gain still only changes in 6dB increments, even though the CCU panel LCD numbers change in 2dB increments.

So still a problem for me, in needing to have remote control over my 4 Ursa Broadcasts in a studio environment.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 11:05 am

Okee that is good observation.

I have my CCU debugger here on the table.. Going off to lunch now but i will run a test this afternoon to check if it is a Camera issue or an Atem issue. I can visuallize the CCU data in the SDI link. So i can check whether the Atem sends the 2db steps or 6db.. ;)

To be continued
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

LouisBacker

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 3:56 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Okee that is good observation.

I have my CCU debugger here on the table.. Going off to lunch now but i will run a test this afternoon to check if it is a Camera issue or an Atem issue. I can visuallize the CCU data in the SDI link. So i can check whether the Atem sends the 2db steps or 6db.. ;)

To be continued

Sounds good, look forward to hearing how you get on..

dvucino

PostSun Nov 14, 2021 11:36 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Okee that is good observation.

To be continued

bump

David Hutchinson

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 7:34 am

Be interesting to see if Broadcast 2G will have the same problem.

LouisBacker

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 6:32 pm

David Hutchinson wrote:Be interesting to see if Broadcast 2G will have the same problem.

It is somewhat frustrating their bringing out a new model, without having rectified a significant operating disparity on the original. It's not as if the problem hasn't been clearly highlighted to them.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 6:40 pm

Sorry Guys not have been able to check if the problem is Atem or Ursa side yet. A lot is going on in our office at the moment for various projects.

As soon as i know which side has the problem, i can relay this to BMD to get in to fix it. ;)

BlkKnight

PostWed Dec 22, 2021 1:11 am

I don't have a CCU, but I do use ATEM software weekly to control several URSA Broadcast (G1) and URSA Broadcast G2 cameras connected to an ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K. All cameras and switcher are on latest firmware (as of today).

With ATEM Software Control 8.6.4, the URSA Broadcast G1 will only move in 6dB increments even though the ATEM software is showing 2dB increments (the URSA Broadcast G1 moves one 6dB step after three 2dB steps in the ATEM software).

I'm very happy to report that the URSA Broadcast G2 responds properly to 2dB increments. This is a major improvement for our installation, which is often in environments that are darker than the URSA Broadcast G1 can handle well. As a side note, I've also confirmed the URSA Broadcast G2's 2dB increments work correctly from an ATEM Mini Extreme ISO.

David Hutchinson

PostFri Dec 24, 2021 11:23 pm

Yes I noticed this the other day also, but it’s also true if you go above 4db gain you are better off switching to 10db which gives lower noise.

Return to Live Production