SDI Distribution 4K not working but SDI Distribution is

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jerrywinters

SDI Distribution 4K not working but SDI Distribution is

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 5:06 am

I struggled for 2 hours this morning trying to get a good 1080p30 signal to my distributed displays. The 4K version of the SDI Distribution Converter was having problems. The screen would flash with video for less than a second, then go blank. My SDI to HDMI converters' LEDs showed various colors while attempting to render output. I checked cables, switched SDI to HDMI converters around but nothing changed. Then I swapped out my SDI Distribution 4K converter with the earlier non-4K Distribution Converter and suddenly everything worked. I just downloaded the latest Converters Setup program and hooked my 4K Distribution unit up but it did not give me the option to update it which suggests it's up to date.

Any thoughts? Does the non-4K Distributer send a stronger signal? The 4K unit is supposed to automatically sense the incoming standard and output to that standard. Is there something wrong there?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jerry

Raphaël Jacquot

Re: SDI Distribution 4K not working but SDI Distribution is

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 6:01 am

jerrywinters wrote:I struggled for 2 hours this morning trying to get a good 1080p30 signal to my distributed displays. The 4K version of the SDI Distribution Converter was having problems. The screen would flash with video for less than a second, then go blank. My SDI to HDMI converters' LEDs showed various colors while attempting to render output. I checked cables, switched SDI to HDMI converters around but nothing changed. Then I swapped out my SDI Distribution 4K converter with the earlier non-4K Distribution Converter and suddenly everything worked. I just downloaded the latest Converters Setup program and hooked my 4K Distribution unit up but it did not give me the option to update it which suggests it's up to date.

Any thoughts? Does the non-4K Distributer send a stronger signal? The 4K unit is supposed to automatically sense the incoming standard and output to that standard. Is there something wrong there?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jerry

1080p30 should work no matter what.
how long are your cables ?

Howard Roll

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 1:28 pm

A DA is garbage in, garbage out, other than reclocking there is no processing. Did you physically inspect the terminals? The center pin on the female side can get duck mouthed, and on the male side the center pin can retract if the cable is yanked.

Good Luck

jerrywinters

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 1:34 pm

Raphaël, thank you for asking.

Cables are 75 meters or less. The cable running to the SDI In is the longest.

The main question is, why does the 4K version have problems and the non-4K version not have problems?

Is the non-4K version capable of receiving a weaker signal than the 4K version without falling apart?

If the issue is cable length, I could put an SDI to HDMI converter in the middle of the cable run to keep the signal stronger on its way to the 4K Distribution. Does anyone recommend that?

Thanks for your feedback, everyone!

Jerry

jerrywinters

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 1:41 pm

Howard,

Agreed, Garbage In, Garbage Out. Makes me focus more on the Input signal than the device itself.

Same cables, same connectors were used between the 4K and non-4K versions. Non-4K version works well, looks good. 4K version is obviously having issues.

I wonder if the 4K version has problems because it has circuitry between the input and the amplifier because it is trying to determine whether it needs to output 6G or 3G and that is where things are breaking down?

Just thinking out loud.

robertsmu

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 2:00 pm

Have you software updated the SDI Distribution 4K device as instructed on page 10 of the manual?

jerrywinters

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 2:02 pm

Robert, thank you for responding.

Just to make sure, I downloaded the latest and connected. No prompt to update so I believe it's up to date. Is there a way to 'degrade' the version and re-install the latest?

Jerry

Howard Roll

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 2:10 pm

jerrywinters wrote:Same cables, same connectors were used…
It would be impossible for both devices to use the same input connectors as they are soldered into the box. Physically inspect the input connector on the flaky unit. If the 4k isn’t passing signal at any length then the issue is not directly related to length, if all the short runs are good and it’s just the long run then yeah the 4k isn’t pushing as hard.

Good Luck

jerrywinters

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 2:29 pm

Robert, sorry for not being clear. I meant the connectors on the cable ends. I will inspect the box.

Thank you.

robertsmu

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 3:22 pm

I’m thinking it is a 3G Level A/B issue.

jerrywinters

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 3:41 pm

Robert, take a look at the attached picture. The left one is the input. Right one is one of the outputs. I never imagined physical damage could be the culprit.

Has anyone swapped out BNC Jack's on one of these units?

Thank you, Robert.
Attachments
20210919_094036.jpg
20210919_094036.jpg (984.73 KiB) Viewed 2802 times

jerrywinters

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 3:56 pm

Close ups of ports
Attachments
20210919_094710.jpg
SDI out
20210919_094710.jpg (415.67 KiB) Viewed 2791 times
20210919_094751.jpg
SDI in
20210919_094751.jpg (468.37 KiB) Viewed 2791 times

Raphaël Jacquot

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 9:55 pm

jerrywinters wrote:Robert, take a look at the attached picture. The left one is the input. Right one is one of the outputs. I never imagined physical damage could be the culprit.

Has anyone swapped out BNC Jack's on one of these units?

Thank you, Robert.

indeed, something didn't go as planned in there.

they suspiciously look like those
https://www.digikey.fr/product-detail/f ... -ND/811166
I can't seem to find the appropriate version for 12GHz though

Sander Vreuls

PostSun Sep 19, 2021 11:05 pm

I'm wondering what happens if you put the SDI distribution first, and then use a short cable to go to the 4K distribution for the rest of the actual distribution. Basically using the SDI distribution just to amplify the signal.

If the signal on the monitors keep working then it's probably a reclocking issue where the SDI distribution can reclock lower quality signals over a longer distance.

If the signals on the monitor don't work properly the it's probably a format issue with the 4K unit. Which admittedly would also be weird since it's newer. Alternatively it could be that the 4K unit is broken as well..

You can also try reclocking with a SDI to HDMI micro or so before the 4K distribution..

robertsmu

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 2:30 am

You can poke that hole with a little pin and see if that fixes it.

jerrywinters

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 3:01 pm

Sander, at this point, it looks like it is a mechanical issue with the BNC jack. I am looking for a replacement jack (if anyone knows where I can get a replacement, let me know) but until I find one, I am going to remove one of the output jacks and swap it with the Input jack so I can test the 'bad jack' theory.
Thanks for responding.

Jerry

Videobegin

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 7:04 pm

May be a cold solder ? Try to resolder BNC pins before buying new one.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 8:13 pm

jerrywinters wrote:Sander, at this point, it looks like it is a mechanical issue with the BNC jack. I am looking for a replacement jack (if anyone knows where I can get a replacement, let me know) but until I find one, I am going to remove one of the output jacks and swap it with the Input jack so I can test the 'bad jack' theory.
Thanks for responding.

Jerry

see digikey link above

jerrywinters

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 9:34 pm

Videobegin,

Based on what I am seeing on the pictures shown in this post, it looks like the jack is damaged so the copper connectors do not make consistent contact with the SDI cable pin.

Raphaël, thank you - I hadn't noticed the link. I will order the part and let you know if it fits.

Thanks, all!

Jerry

Howard Roll

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 1:38 am

As Robert said push the connector back together with a pin. The female side of the connector is basically a copper tube cut into (4) 90 degree sections. The sections can become pushed apart by rough handling or ancient/analog BNC that has a thicker male center pin. The fact that you have an intermittent connection when first inserted means the connector likely isn't a total loss. Close the duck mouth or swap the input terminal with one of the output terminals.

Good Luck

Videobegin

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 7:47 am

jerrywinters wrote:It looks like the jack is damaged so the copper connectors do not make consistent contact with the SDI cable pin.
As Howard said, if just folded copper, try to straighten part. Plug in connector leed to force on the welding point. Resolder is a quick and economical action ;)

Since 1978 (IEC 169-8), center pin have the same size. An interesting catalog :
https://www.radiall.com/ewscore/downloa ... DLnBkZg==/

jerrywinters wrote:Raphaël, thank you - I hadn't noticed the link. I will order the part and let you know if it fits.
hum... I prefer 75 ohm connector for video.

Sander Vreuls

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 7:56 am

Don't these units have ALT SDI IN inputs?
Why not try that before getting out the soldering iron?

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 1:13 pm

Videobegin wrote:
jerrywinters wrote:It looks like the jack is damaged so the copper connectors do not make consistent contact with the SDI cable pin.
As Howard said, if just folded copper, try to straighten part. Plug in connector leed to force on the welding point. Resolder is a quick and economical action ;)

jerrywinters wrote:Raphaël, thank you - I hadn't noticed the link. I will order the part and let you know if it fits.

you've got ample choice around that one...

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 1:13 pm

Sander Vreuls wrote:Don't these units have ALT SDI IN inputs?
Why not try that before getting out the soldering iron?

no, it's 1 -> 8

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 1:14 pm

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
Videobegin wrote:

you've got ample choice around that one...

as an alternative, if you don't use all 8 outputs, you could steal the connector for one of them and replace the one on the input...

jerrywinters

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 4:29 am

I believe the issue is more than a separation of the contact points. It looks like the tips are actually damages. I will borrow one of the outputs for now and see if I can find an exact match.

Thanks, everyone. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Return to Live Production