Connecting Camera via Composite to ATEM 1 M/E

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MarvMool

Connecting Camera via Composite to ATEM 1 M/E

PostMon Nov 04, 2013 4:18 pm

We are in the process of setting up our ATEM 1 M/E for live switching for our church services. We have 2 HD cameras (Canon XF100s) connected via HDMI. According to the documentation, one of the inputs is "Analog Video Input Switchable between Component, S-Video, and Composite" (see diagram in attachment below)... but the documentation doesn't describe how to configure the port. We would like to optionally be able to connect a 3rd camera using a composite signal (we don't have any other cameras with HDMI or SDI outputs)... from the documentation, it appears we should be able to do that... but how? Am I missing something or did I not understand what can be done?

ATEM Analog Input.jpg
Diagram of ATEM Inputs
ATEM Analog Input.jpg (48.56 KiB) Viewed 1102 times

Liam Kennedy

Re: Connecting Camera via Composite to ATEM 1 M/E

PostMon Nov 04, 2013 4:28 pm

I've never connected a composite signal input to my 1/ME.. so not sure if that is truly possible. However... one thing I think you will have a problem with in any case... is you CANNOT run HD cameras at the same time as SD cameras. All the inputs must be running in the same video format.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Zach Swena

Re: Connecting Camera via Composite to ATEM 1 M/E

PostMon Nov 04, 2013 5:24 pm

The analog inputs are connected to Input 1 via a drop down menu in the control software. When you are in SD mode, you can select either composite, S-Video, component, or HDMI as input 1. When you are in HD, the analog inputs must also be HD, so component is the only real option. I would suggest something like the Gefen composite to HDMI scaler to accomplish this.

Return to Live Production