Using URSA Broadcast with existing fiber infrastructure

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ZachLegleiter

Using URSA Broadcast with existing fiber infrastructure

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 12:55 am

Hey everyone,

I am looking at purchasing Blackmagic URSA Broadcast Cameras with the Camera Fiber Converter, and Studio Fiber Converters.

Our current set-up (in a basketball arena) is Panasonic AJ-HDX900's with the older Blackmagic Camera Converters, and a Studio Converters, connected to a ATEM 2 M/E Switcher. We've used this set-up with great success for years, but are looking to upgrade our system. We are primarily looking to upgrade for the ability to have camera control remotely, additional return feeds at the cameras, better viewfinders, and better intercom (and higher quality headsets), with the ability to upgrade to 4K in time (we are still operating at 1080i59.94.

All our camera locations inside the venue have existing duplex fiber that is routed back to the control room for our existing camera, and studio converters, along with local power (currently using standard 12vDC power supplies to power the Panasonic Cameras.

My question is this; Can you use URSA Broadcast cameras with SMPTE break-out cables to convert the SMPTE to duplex ST on both the camera and CCU ends so we can use our existing internal infrastructure without having to purchase SMPTE cable, and have it installed within the venue? Again, all our camera locations have local power, so the power transmission over the fiber isn't necessary in our case.

Thank you.

Raphaël Jacquot

Re: Using URSA Broadcast with existing fiber infrastructure

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 5:27 am

yes, you should be able to, as long as you have the right adapter cables on each end

David Hutchinson

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 7:10 am

ZachLegleiter wrote:Hey everyone,

I am looking at purchasing Blackmagic URSA Broadcast Cameras with the Camera Fiber Converter,.

I ordered 5 URSA Broadcasts in February and still nothing delivered. Last time I managed to buy one was November 2020.

You may have a long wait. :(

Howard Roll

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 11:49 am

Using this in lieu of the SMPTE fiber solution is going to save about 6-8K per camera.

Good Luck

53946C06-4C74-483B-AE84-B9E538648F83.jpeg
53946C06-4C74-483B-AE84-B9E538648F83.jpeg (310.34 KiB) Viewed 467 times

Return to Live Production