Powering Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus with v-lock?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Bilunt

Powering Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus with v-lock?

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 4:35 am

I have a cable to connect my v-lock power supply to the DC input of my HyperDeck Studio HD Mini but when I connect there's no sign of life from the HyperDeck.
It works fine on AC.
The battery is 130Wh, 8.8Ah.
The cable I have is wired negative to terminal 1 and positive to terminal 4, is this the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Last edited by Bilunt on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asgeir Hustad

Re: Powering HyperDeck Studio HD Mini with v-lock?

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 9:13 pm

I'm assuming you mean the Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus, not the Mini? As the Mini only has a barrel jack for 12V, not anything with 4 or more pins...

4-pin XLR 12V is generally set as pin 1 = 0V, pin 4 = 12V like you've configured.

One issue may be with your batterys max wattage, even if it's an 8.8Ah-battery it might not be capable of delivering the 5A the HD Plus needs - most reputable batteries will though.

Have you measured your XLR cable while it's connected to the battery, to verify that you're getting power through it?

Bilunt

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 10:57 pm

Asgeir Hustad wrote:I'm assuming you mean the Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus, not the Mini? As the Mini only has a barrel jack for 12V, not anything with 4 or more pins...

4-pin XLR 12V is generally set as pin 1 = 0V, pin 4 = 12V like you've configured.

One issue may be with your batterys max wattage, even if it's an 8.8Ah-battery it might not be capable of delivering the 5A the HD Plus needs - most reputable batteries will though.

Have you measured your XLR cable while it's connected to the battery, to verify that you're getting power through it?

Thanks Asgeir, yes it is the Plus - my error.

My ATEM Mini Pro ISO happily runs off the same battery, but it has barrel... and probably requires less current.
I'm in the middle of moving but will dig out meter (if I can find the box) and let you know how I go.

Thanks for the info,
Bill

P.S. Just found battery specs (but will still check mine):

Max. Output: 79W

Max. Output Current: 6.5A

Bilunt

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 12:46 am

Bilunt wrote:
Asgeir Hustad wrote:I'm assuming you mean the Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus, not the Mini? As the Mini only has a barrel jack for 12V, not anything with 4 or more pins...

Confirmed there’s power to pins 1&4, correct polarity.

So either the battery not supplying 5A or Hyperdeck pins are wired differently?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 11:17 am

At least in the photos of the back of the HyperDeck Studio HD Plus on the product page, what is printed below the DC input port is 10-14V @ 5A. Not sure if that is what is printed on your unit.

One thing that is a bit odd is that this doesn't really match up with the 100W maximum power consumption listed in the specs (10V @ 5A would be 50W). It's also a bit surprising that the power consumption figures of the HyperDeck Studio HD Plus and HyperDeck Studio 4K Pro are identical at 100W (I would have expected the 4K Pro model to be higher than the other models).

The other issue is that if 10-14V is the true supported voltage range, then it may not work directly with most 14.4V lithium-ion V-mount batteries when fully charged. These batteries tend to use four lithium-ion cells in series, and the voltage range of an individual lithium ion cell ranges from 4.2V (fully charged) to around 3V when discharged with a nominal voltage of 3.7V. This means that the overall battery outputs 16.8V (4 x 4.2V) when fully charged which would be outside of the printed voltage range.

10-14V is more in line with the voltage range of a lead acid battery. So if that range is accurate, it might require a voltage regulator that outputs 12V or so for use with a lithium-ion battery. The HyperDeck Manual only mentions powering with an external 12V battery, so that doesn't really do much to clarify the DC power requirements.

Note that the ATEM Mini Pro ISO has a DC input voltage range of 9-20V and maximum power consumption of 36W as discussed in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=123479

Bilunt

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 7:56 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:At least in the photos of the back of the HyperDeck Studio HD Plus on the product page, what is printed below the DC input port is 10-14V @ 5A. Not sure if that is what is printed on your unit.

One thing that is a bit odd is that this doesn't really match up with the 100W maximum power consumption listed in the specs (10V @ 5A would be 50W). It's also a bit surprising that the power consumption figures of the HyperDeck Studio HD Plus and HyperDeck Studio 4K Pro are identical at 100W (I would have expected the 4K Pro model to be higher than the other models).

The other issue is that if 10-14V is the true supported voltage range, then it may not work directly with most 14.4V lithium-ion V-mount batteries when fully charged. These batteries tend to use four lithium-ion cells in series, and the voltage range of an individual lithium ion cell ranges from 4.2V (fully charged) to around 3V when discharged with a nominal voltage of 3.7V. This means that the overall battery outputs 16.8V (4 x 4.2V) when fully charged which would be outside of the printed voltage range.

10-14V is more in line with the voltage range of a lead acid battery. So if that range is accurate, it might require a voltage regulator that outputs 12V or so for use with a lithium-ion battery. The HyperDeck Manual only mentions powering with an external 12V battery, so that doesn't really do much to clarify the DC power requirements.

Note that the ATEM Mini Pro ISO has a DC input voltage range of 9-20V and maximum power consumption of 36W as discussed in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=123479

Thanks Dave, that's another possibility.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain it in a way that I can understand.

It's strange - I've searched high and low for an example of a HyperDeck Studio HD Plus being powered via the 12v socket but nothing so far to give me a clue as to how to go about it successfully. I would have thought Blackmagic might have offered an example in the manual.

Thanks again,
Bill

Bilunt

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 8:31 pm

Asgeir Hustad wrote:I'm assuming you mean the Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus, not the Mini?

I've fixed the subject line, thanks Asgeir.

Bilunt

Re: Powering Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus with v-lock?

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 4:05 am

Bilunt wrote:I have a cable to connect my v-lock power supply to the DC input of my HyperDeck Studio HD Mini but when I connect there's no sign of life from the HyperDeck.
It works fine on AC.
The battery is 130Wh, 8.8Ah.
The cable I have is wired negative to terminal 1 and positive to terminal 4, is this the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance, the problem was my original battery couldn't provide the necessary power (excuse the non-technical language, see other posts for explanation).

The solution; a battery that can supply the necessary power (and more):
IMG_3640@0.5x.jpg
IMG_3640@0.5x.jpg (629.42 KiB) Viewed 2982 times

Bilunt

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 8:31 am

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance, the problem was my original battery couldn't provide the necessary power (excuse the non-technical language, see other posts for explanation).

The solution; a battery that can supply the necessary power (and more):
IMG_3640@0.5x.jpg

...and then, nothing.

It worked fine with the battery out of the box at 25%, I charged the battery and connected again and nothing.

Nothing.

Sigh.

Bilunt

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 8:52 am

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:The other issue is that if 10-14V is the true supported voltage range, then it may not work directly with most 14.4V lithium-ion V-mount batteries when fully charged. These batteries tend to use four lithium-ion cells in series, and the voltage range of an individual lithium ion cell ranges from 4.2V (fully charged) to around 3V when discharged with a nominal voltage of 3.7V. This means that the overall battery outputs 16.8V (4 x 4.2V) when fully charged which would be outside of the printed voltage range.

Ah, Dave, I think you've covered my current (no pun intended) problem here as well. I'm going to run the new battery down to 25% again and try it - I suspect it will work again.

Robert Betzner

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 10:09 am

Too high voltage when fully charged. That is the reason. Some batteries have a voltage up to 17V if fully charged. I think that the Hyperdeck has some kind of security circuit that blocks the current if it has a voltage that doesn't meet the specs.

That is why the ATEM (9V-20V) works and the Hyperdeck (10V-14V) does not.

Cheers

Robert

Bilunt

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 10:27 am

Robert Betzner wrote:Too high voltage when fully charged. That is the reason. Some batteries have a voltage up to 17V if fully charged. I think that the Hyperdeck has some kind of security circuit that blocks the current if it has a voltage that doesn't meet the specs.

That is why the ATEM (9V-20V) works and the Hyperdeck (10V-14V) does not.

Cheers

Robert

Thanks for the confirmation Robert. I wonder if there would be a v-mount plate that had a regulator - off to google some more...

Robert Betzner

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 10:33 am

Yes indeed there are some. I have one for a DSLR rig from Lanparte:

https://shop.equiprent.de/Lanparte-VBP- ... ::430.html

Cheers

Robert

Bilunt

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 9:37 pm

Robert Betzner wrote:Yes indeed there are some. I have one for a DSLR rig from Lanparte:

https://shop.equiprent.de/Lanparte-VBP- ... ::430.html

Cheers

Robert

There's one of those just up the road as it happens Robert, thanks.

I'm going to plug it in and make sure before I buy. :-)

Robert Betzner

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 6:40 am

Make sure it can handle the current of the Hyperdeck.

Mine can only handle 2,5A on the 12V output, which is 30W. You need at least 50W which is about 4,5A.

Cheers

Robert

Bilunt

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 2:21 am

Robert Betzner wrote:Make sure it can handle the current of the Hyperdeck.

Mine can only handle 2,5A on the 12V output, which is 30W. You need at least 50W which is about 4,5A.

Cheers

Robert

So, the LanParte plate has arrived and I've exhausted all avenues in the search for a regulated D-Tap to 4 pin xlr cable so I've soldered a barrel plug onto where the D-Tap used to be on an unregulated D-Tap - xlr and am ready to plug it into the LanParte's regulated 12v output to see whether it can deliver the amps to power the Hyperdeck... except right now the LanParte and battery is busy powering the 4K on a time-lapse.

Suspense.

IMG_3673.jpg
IMG_3673.jpg (612.39 KiB) Viewed 2551 times

Bilunt

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 5:31 am

Ok, it's a crap photo, but it's worth a thousand guesses as to how you go about powering a Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus via v-lock.
The barrel plug I soldered on to the other end of my 4 pin XLR lead seems to be getting enough power from the LanParte v-mount's 12v output to do the job - which is weird because the Hyperdeck spec is 5A and the plate is rated at 2.5A output.
However, everything works, no problems so far.

UPDATE: It's been running two-and-a-half hours, recording, playing back, it's warm but not hot, the battery and plate are not even discernibly warm and the battery has lost 20% of its charge (it's a 130w, 8.8Ah).

IMG_3674.jpg
IMG_3674.jpg (147.78 KiB) Viewed 2528 times

Bilunt

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 8:07 am

I consider my problem solved, thanks to all who offered advice.
The Hyperdeck has been running fine — I recommend it to anyone considering purchase.

Robert Betzner

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 12:08 pm

Just a quick tip:

Try to power the Hyperdeck through the 14V output of your plate. That lowers the current draw a little bit if this works. The Hyperdeck should run fine on 14V and you don't need as much current as on the 12V output.

Cheers

Robert

Dave Del Vecchio

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 6:32 am

Typically the 14V output from a V-mount (or Gold mount) battery plate is unregulated (straight from the battery). Which would mean that for a 14.4V lithium-ion battery, the voltage would actually be 16.8V when fully charged, which apparently exceeds the HyperDeck DC input spec. So I wouldn't be surprised if this yields the same results as connecting to the battery directly.

I suppose it's possible that there are some battery plates that output a regulated 14V, but in my experience, this is not that common as there aren't many devices that require a regulated 14V input. 12V is more common for regulated voltage outputs as many AC to DC power adapters output 12V DC.

Robert Betzner

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:56 am

Dave,

this isn't simply a battery plate but a voltage regulator and a HDMI splitter.
I have exactly this model and it has different regulators built in: 5V, 7,4V, 12V and 14V.

As they all can handle a current of 2,5A i would assume that they are all regulated. I suggested to try the 14V output for the Hyperdeck as this wouldn't stress the regulator so much.

Cheers

Robert

Dave Del Vecchio

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 9:28 pm

Yes, I understand that the battery plate has several regulated DC outputs, but assuming the plate being used is the LanParte VBP-01 discussed earlier in this thread, it doesn't seem to actually have a DC port marked 14V.

There is a port marked 15V on the side, but according to the manual for that LanParte battery plate, the port marked 15V carries the "V-Mount battery voltage" and is "direct output from the V-Mount battery":
https://www.equiprent.de/download/lanpa ... manual.pdf

So it does not sound like a regulated output from this description (and if it were a regulated 15V that may be too high for the 10-14V input on the HyperDeck anyway).

Bilunt

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 9:29 pm

Robert and Dave, thank you both.

Yep, the LanParte D-Tap 14V only works once the battery gets down below 25% charge so I guess it's the only output that's unregulated.

Here's a couple of photos of the LanParte:

IMG_3826.jpg
IMG_3826.jpg (106.29 KiB) Viewed 2100 times

IMG_3827.jpg
IMG_3827.jpg (100.69 KiB) Viewed 2100 times

As you can see the 15v is marked AC, so I've left it out of this equation.

It seems there is some interest in this thread so it's great to have your input as I'm pretty in the dark about the technicalities - I just wanted to run my Hyperdeck off a battery! :-)

Just an addition to my last comment; I've been running the Hyperdeck via 12v (as above) along with the ATEM Mini Pro ISO (via 14V) off the the same battery for over ten hours now without any problems. Both units get warm but I believe this is normal.

Bill

Return to Live Production