URSA Broadcast Manufacturing

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

DavisJones

URSA Broadcast Manufacturing

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 1:53 am

I'm seeing URSA Broadcast cameras sold out pretty much everywhere. I'm well aware of the worldwide supply chain issues, but this item specifically seems to be worse off. Hyperdecks, ATEMs, and other items all seem to have restock dates of some sort from B&H, Adorma, etc. But not this camera. I also spoke with some other resellers who don't have any restock dates for the cam. Odd. Has anyone heard any news straight from BMD?

DavisJones

Re: URSA Broadcast Manufacturing

PostSat Oct 09, 2021 4:31 pm

bump since post was just approved.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 9:00 am

i have not seen one shipped in 8 months already.. And heared that there are at least 5000 in backorder at the moment. :(

We also have a few in backorder and are awaiting for them.. Current Studio camera will not fit our needs due to the MFT lens mount..

We really need B4 lens mount
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

DavisJones

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 4:19 am

where did you hear the 5000 and 8 month numbers?

Xtreemtec

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 10:02 am

8 months as we are a local dealer.. And we have backorders and bmd can't tell when or where it will ship again..

5000 from a source i can not disclose.. ;) But the number is a lot bigger.. That was about 2/3 months ago..

The current chipmarket is really to blame in this one.. It poses a real problem in delivery of parts for multiple devices that BMD makes.. :roll:
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

DavisJones

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 7:21 am

dang. i was building a new system and was thinking 3-4 months. but 8 months really changes things. ill have to come up with a plan B. good to know, tho.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 11:25 am

But it also could be that in Dec. they release a Broadcast Pro or V2.. nobody knows..

We only know that at this moment they missing out on a lot of sales..

Matt Certa

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 2:25 pm

it really would be christmas if there was a v2 with a single body camera w/ SMPTE back and fixed all their flubs.

LouisBacker

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 3:55 pm

IBC starts on December 3rd at the RAI in Amsterdam. New products are often introduced at this high profile broadcast expo. So, you never know...
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 11:00 am

Well, as many speculated, the URSA Broadcast G2 has now been announced:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... abroadcast

It sounds like Blackmagic had issues with parts availability for the sensors used in the original URSA Broadcast cameras, so apparently they have switched to using the sensor from the Pocket Cinema Camera 6K. As that sensor is a more modern design than the original, the claim is that it delivers better low light performance and dynamic range.

The sensor is a native Super35/APS-C sized sensor and allows for 6K recording when used with the EF mount. When using the B4 mount, you are limited to a 4K Ultra HD crop of the sensor. But even a 3840x2160 crop is larger than a standard 2/3-inch sensor area, so I assume that lens expander optics are built into the B4 mount (which was also the case with the original URSA Broadcast).

From what I can gather from the sensor dimensions and resolution, roughly a 1.5x expander would be needed to cover the 4K imaging area of the new sensor, which has an imaging diagonal of about 16.55mm, or slightly larger than a 1-inch sensor (the original URSA Broadcast had a Super 16 sensor with about a 15mm diagonal requiring about a 1.35x expander). So I would guess that this new camera may be a bit more demanding on lens optics, at least at 4K resolutions.

Asgeir Hustad

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 11:25 am

I'm really liking the integration of features across the product span that's coming these days:
- Because of the new h.26x-encoder, the Streaming Bridge can now be used the way many of us wanted when it was announced.
- Tethering from the smaller ATEMs coming directly to the camera is awesome - saves me a LiveU-unit costing appx. the same as an URSA (although no bonding across carriers, which is LiveU's main selling point, and why I'll still be using them for the main feeds).
- We get CCU over remote connections, both Ethernet and mobile.
- The zoom and focus-handles working with the new cameras in both studio and broadcast-ranges, working with both Canon and Fujinon-lenses will be a great feature (electronic focus demands have eye-watering prices from C and F).
- Better low-light performance !!

Of course, these need to be executed well by BMD performance wise, but I like the features and the planning that's been done across the models.

Things I'd love to see:
- A return talkback that can be mixed in the regular headphone, so remote operators can monitor both intercom and local audio. Working with intercom apps on the phone is fine, but means another headset or more gear.
- "Streaming Bridge Pro" with multiple outputs, XLR Line Out for camera audio, intercom extracted from SDI or dedicated XLR I/O.

LouisBacker

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 12:31 pm

Though it's never been a great issue for us, lowering the noise floor/improving the ISO is very welcome.

I like the new zoom demand facility (hopefully this works on the Gen 1 also) and the ability to remote CCU control via a tethered mobile phone. Hopefully, they've finally addressed up this ongoing +-2dB disparity with the CCU.

Unfortunate timing though, as I'm about to sell two of our Gen 1 Ursa Broadcasts.
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

pederdingo

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 2:20 pm

That new G2 looks really nice.
I love that we can choose super 35 look with the same camera, and that remote CCU via streaming bridge could be really useful with all the streaming going on right now.

And I love that blackmagic is sticking to the formfactor so all the accessories and fiber adapters work.
I can change all our 8 cameraschains for $32K instead of $100k+ if I were to buy it all again.
Fantastic :D

I am really looking forward to seeing the footage - I wonder how much less noise there will be.
A Pocket 6k with cropped sensor and extender to 1" doesn't sound super clean, but hopefully more than the current G1.

LouisBacker

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 2:35 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:But it also could be that in Dec. they release a Broadcast Pro or V2.. nobody knows..

Christmas has indeed arrived early. I have no need of the expensive SMPTE back unit, but the inclusion of an integral network socket would have been nice from a streaming point of view, given that's a new big feature.

pederdingo

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 2:50 pm

LouisBacker wrote:
Xtreemtec wrote:But it also could be that in Dec. they release a Broadcast Pro or V2.. nobody knows..

Christmas has indeed arrived early. I have no need of the expensive SMPTE back unit, but the inclusion of an integral network socket would have been nice from a streaming point of view, given that's a new big feature.

My guess is it's hard to find a space for a dedicated ethernet socket without changing the form factor.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 3:41 pm

Yeah so just plug in a network dongle.. ;)

And Dannggg.. My gut feeling was right about a new V2 8-) 8-)

LouisBacker

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 3:49 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Yeah so just plug in a network dongle.. ;)

And Dannggg.. My gut feeling was right about a new V2 8-) 8-)

Is that ability already factored in, using the USB-C? If so, I'd not picked up from info released so far.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 5:59 pm

LouisBacker wrote:Is that ability already factored in, using the USB-C? If so, I'd not picked up from info released so far.
Yes, this was mentioned briefly in the introductory video. Like the other URSA cameras to-date, it seems that there is no built-in network connectivity in the camera, only Bluetooth. So any network traffic has to go through the USB-C port, either via phone tethering or a USB-C Ethernet adapter.

There's not much information about this in the current product pages or the manual yet as the streaming features won't be included in the initial firmware, but will be added in a firmware update early in 2022.

LouisBacker

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 6:44 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:Yes, this was mentioned briefly in the introductory video. Like the other URSA cameras to-date, it seems that there is no built-in network connectivity in the camera, only Bluetooth. So any network traffic has to go through the USB-C port, either via phone tethering or a USB-C Ethernet adapter.

There's not much information about this in the current product pages or the manual yet as the streaming features won't be included in the initial firmware, but will be added in a firmware update early in 2022.

Thanks, that's good to know. Currently in the field we run Ursa Broadcast > LiveU Solo > Huawei 4G Modem with booster antennas > RTMP MiniServer. So being able to cut out the LiveU Solo unit would be a bonus.

Tarek Saneh

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 7:23 pm

Very happy with this release, I own bmpcc 6k pro and the image is fantastic, lets hope using the b4 mount for UHD or HD the image will be good enough for live production, maybe with this big body the image of 6k with EF lenses is better then bmpcc 6k coz of better cooling and better image processor
What do you think
Tarek Saneh
Creative & Technical Director
http://www.wonderweb.ae
Dubai - UAE

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 8:26 pm

the one question I have is, can you add a usb-c hub so as to be able to connect multiple things to the camera (which acts as the host) such as ssd, zoom demand, focus demand (...)

pederdingo

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 9:26 pm

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:the one question I have is, can you add a usb-c hub so as to be able to connect multiple things to the camera (which acts as the host) such as ssd, zoom demand, focus demand (...)

Good question, I'd like to know that as well.

–––
Some of you mention that there are 5000x G1s backordered.
Have you heard if BM plans to deliver the old ones, or are you offered the new ones by paying the price difference? (I haven't ordered any, just curious)

DavisJones

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 11:10 pm

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:the one question I have is, can you add a usb-c hub so as to be able to connect multiple things to the camera (which acts as the host) such as ssd, zoom demand, focus demand (...)

this is a must-know for me as well. so many functions use that port. gotta be a way...

Tarek Saneh

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 12:11 pm

In B&H specs page for the Ursa Broadcast G2 they mention it's a global shutter but I'm not sure maybe it's typo
Tarek Saneh
Creative & Technical Director
http://www.wonderweb.ae
Dubai - UAE

David Hutchinson

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 7:55 am

I’m wondering if we’ll have network ftp access to the recorded files?

David Hutchinson

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 7:59 am

Asgeir Hustad wrote:
Things I'd love to see:
- A return talkback that can be mixed in the regular headphone, so remote operators can monitor both intercom and local audio. Working with intercom apps on the phone is fine, but means another headset or more gear.

But you can already do this on the broadcast, it’s got pretty good control to balance PGM audio, Sidetone and talkback.

Asgeir Hustad

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 10:35 am

David Hutchinson wrote:
Asgeir Hustad wrote:
Things I'd love to see:

But you can already do this on the broadcast, it’s got pretty good control to balance PGM audio, Sidetone and talkback.

Yes, but I'm talking while over the 4G-encoder without a program return, sorry if I was unclear :)

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 12:22 pm

pederdingo wrote:Some of you mention that there are 5000x G1s backordered.
Have you heard if BM plans to deliver the old ones, or are you offered the new ones by paying the price difference? (I haven't ordered any, just curious)

My backorders are converted to the new units and for the same price as the previous ones ( because of the long backorder delays..)

So first all backorders will be shipped out.

pederdingo

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 4:33 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
pederdingo wrote:Some of you mention that there are 5000x G1s backordered.

My backorders are converted to the new units and for the same price as the previous ones ( because of the long backorder delays..)

So first all backorders will be shipped out.

That's nice, good way to handle it by BM.

DavisJones

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 9:54 pm

DavisJones wrote:

this is a must-know for me as well. so many functions use that port. gotta be a way...

someone posted on the Q&A on B&H and a BMD rep answered saying you can only use one device on the USB-C port. No hub or nothin. thats kinda lame. guess they shoulda added another port.

David Hutchinson

PostWed Nov 24, 2021 9:45 pm

You can definitely use both Zoom and Focus demands together by daisy chaining them. If you look at 17:27 on the latest video from Grant you can see the focus plugged into the Zoom demand.

DavisJones

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 4:07 am

David Hutchinson wrote:You can definitely use both Zoom and Focus demands together by daisy chaining them. If you look at 17:27 on the latest video from Grant you can see the focus plugged into the Zoom demand.

the concern wasnt about that. it was about using lens controls and something else, such as an SSD to record, ethernet adapter, etc.

David Hutchinson

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 1:20 pm

DavisJones wrote:
David Hutchinson wrote:You can definitely use both Zoom and Focus demands together by daisy chaining them. If you look at 17:27 on the latest video from Grant you can see the focus plugged into the Zoom demand.

the concern wasnt about that. it was about using lens controls and something else, such as an SSD to record, ethernet adapter, etc.

OH OK.... Well my 5x Broadcast G2 arrive this Monday Tuesday so I can test

philglaser

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 2:10 am

David Hutchinson wrote:
DavisJones wrote:

OH OK.... Well my 5x Broadcast G2 arrive this Monday Tuesday so I can test

Assuming you've also got the focus and zoom demands, I'd appreciate any elaboration on how the memory/recall functions work for zoom and focus points. It looks like the zoom demand has the buttons on it to set and recall a couple different stored zoom/focus settings, but I'm curious if it will recall both zoom and focus if you've only got the zoom demand hooked up. Grant demo'd it with both accessories hooked up, so it's unclear if you only get zoom recall or both zoom/focus recall if all you've got is the zoom demand.

And congrats on getting all those. I'm just waiting for some image quality tests on YouTube. I'm wondering if there's going to be any sort of improvement of chromatic aberration (they seemed to have helped it a bit with Camera 6.7). I'm hoping that I can spend slightly less of a fortune on a suitable B4 lens than I otherwise would have to.

Return to Live Production