BMPCC / HyperDeck Studio HD Plus / long term recording

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

bo zebra

BMPCC / HyperDeck Studio HD Plus / long term recording

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 4:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I truely apologize if this has been discussed before- yet I could´t find any useful information so far.

For an upcoming long term recording for industrial production surveillance (24/7 for 4 weeks) I need to know how the HyperDeck Studio HD Plus will handle a continuous 1080/50p live stream preferably with H264 or H265 codec.

How big is the maximum file size on a SD card- is there a limitation of size per single file (like the 4 GB back in the days) or is the limitation the card size itself?

Is there a difference in file size management when it comes to different recording formats?
Anything I can set-up?

Are there any experiences with SanDisk SD cards on the Hyper Desk? I really wonder why these cards do not appear on the BM recommendations list.

Thanks a lot for any response!

Bo

bo zebra

Re: BMPCC / HyperDeck Studio HD Plus / long term recording

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 11:39 am

ok, maybe I break it down to this:

--How big is the maximum file size on a SD card (or SSD) when a video stream is captured by a HyperDeck device?

Anyone @BM maybe?

Thanks a lot!

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 4:26 am

I'm not aware of any fixed limits on recording duration with the HyperDeck recorders, however, they will automatically rollover into a new file after many hours of continuous recording.

It's not really documented in the manual how many hours can be recorded before this file split happens, although there was mention in the announcement for the updated HyperDeck models that this was improved in the new versions, and you can now get multiple hours of video in a single clip. My guess is that the file split behavior may vary somewhat based on the resolution, frame rate, and encoding quality selected, so it's probably not a fixed number of hours regardless of recording settings.

Note that the deck doesn't stop recording when rolling over into a new file, and there shouldn't be any dropped frames, but if you look at the video on the drive after a session, you might see the 12 hour recording split over four files, for example.

bo zebra

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 5:22 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:I'm not aware of any fixed limits on recording duration with the HyperDeck recorders, however, they will automatically rollover into a new file after many hours of continuous recording.
Note that the deck doesn't stop recording when rolling over into a new file, and there shouldn't be any dropped frames, but if you look at the video on the drive after a session, you might see the 12 hour recording split over four files, for example.

Thanks for your answer,
since I really need to know about this before the project starts.
I´ve just contacted the BM support for more detailed info.
I´ll add the reply here :)

Return to Live Production