ATEM 2 M/E Production - Assign Aux

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

proserv

ATEM 2 M/E Production - Assign Aux

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 12:34 pm

Hi there,

Just few questions on ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K.

Question 1 :
AUX outputs can be assigned individually ?
For exemple : SRC 1 -> AUX 2 | SRC 3 -> AUX 1...

Question 2 :
Can you easily assign AUX outputs with ATEM 1 M/E Advanced Panel ?

Question 3 :
ATEM 2 M/E Production have 2 multiview outputs.
All multiview ports show the same view (preview, programm and 8 SRC/MEDIA) or you can setup each multiview different SRC/OUT ?

Thanks in advance for you reply.

Asgeir Hustad

Re: ATEM 2 M/E Production - Assign Aux

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 7:14 am

1. Yes, AUXes are separate outputs that can show any input.

2. Yes, the AUXes are set on the Advanced Panel by selecting the AUX-button (lower right corner of the black buttons), and then using one of the scroll wheels to select the source. They can also be set by macros if you need to switch instantaneously.

3. Each multiviewer can be setup to show different sources. However, the PGM and PVW-window of multiviewer 2 is showing the PGM and PVW of ME 2, not ME 1. I don't know if this can be changed as I haven't tried it.

proserv

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 6:15 pm

Thanks for your quick reply Asgeir Hustad ;)

In addition to the 6 AUX outputs, I see there are 2 SDI program, 1 HDMI program, 1 M/E1 preview and 2 M/E2 outputs.

What can be assigned to all these outputs? :roll:
All program outputs show the same thing?

What are M/E1 and M/E2 outputs?
And what difference between M/V1 and M/V2?

In my case, I need 8 independent outputs to which I assign different inputs (sources). All this controlled with a ATEM 1 M/E Advanced Panel.
And on the 8th output, I would like to duplicate on 3 screens.

Sorry for these stupid questions, for this moment, I'm only use ATEM Mini Pro with a preview or multiview output. :oops:

Asgeir Hustad

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:05 am

Program means just that: Program. The main video path through your switcher. You have multiple outputs of these because they most often go to different places: A recorder, IMAG, returns to your cameras, a streaming unit etc etc.

M/E is short for Mix Effects, in short full sized program buses where you can use all your effects, transitions ++. Most BMD-switchers only have one ME, but the larger ones (aka 2M/E, 4M/E and Constellation) have multiple. They can be used either to build more advanced scenes (Picture in picture where the insert has multiple layers of graphics, for example), or produce different mixes for different purposes (IMAG-shots use mostly closeups, for example).

AUX stands for Auxiliary, which means "extra". These are assignable, and can be set to *almost* any video source in the switcher, depending on model. They can only do hard cuts, never any transition (although if you set it to a source like PGM you will of course get the video from there as is, including transitions made there).

If you need 8 different actual, switched outputs with effects, you're gonna need a bigger switcher, mate. If what you need instead is to just get the inputs out of the switcher for ISO, big screen or whatever and don't need to actually switch them live a lot, you can do pretty much that.

SDI PGM output to a DA - split from the DA to screens / recorders etc.
HDMI PGM output if you need PGM locally
AUX1-6 for individual source outputs
M/E2 PGM to source 7
M/E2 PVW to source 8 (not sure if this is an SDI out, might just be AUX Assignable. If so, split before the switcher with a DA, SDI to HDMI-converters with loop through or similar).

The normal procedure when you need your sources to go many places is to use a video router (like a BMD Videohub) that you send your sources into before the video switcher, and route things from there.

Return to Live Production