Hyperdeck h.264 playback

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Seanchas

Hyperdeck h.264 playback

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 4:26 pm

Hi,

Please excuse me as I know this has been discussed a lot over the years but I'm having trouble finding an answer as the HyperDeck has also changed over the years!!!

I've just got my HyperDeck studio Mini and I got it to use as a video player for live streaming through my ATEM Mini Pro switcher...

I converted some h.264 files I had to Prores HQ using apple compressor and they played well, but the file size is huge..

Does anyone have definitive settings for compressor ( or a droplet?) that would allow me to create h.264 files. ( medium or high quality) that will play back on the hyperdeck>

Thanks in advance,
Johnny

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Hyperdeck h.264 playback

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 6:11 am

I believe at the moment either ProRes or DNxHD are still the recommended encoding formats for video playout on the HyperDecks as H.264 playout (for videos not recorded on the deck) is not well supported. There are multiple previous threads on this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=93139
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=108894

If you are trying to reduce the file sizes, you might go with ProRes 422 or ProRes LT (rather than ProRes HQ) as these codecs are somewhat lower in disk usage, but often the difference in video quality is not very noticeable if at all.

Seanchas

Re: Hyperdeck h.264 playback

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 10:56 am

Thanks, I didn't realise other pro res types would work, I'll experiment :)
j.

Return to Live Production