ATEM Mini Extreme (ISO) vs. two webcams

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

morebit

ATEM Mini Extreme (ISO) vs. two webcams

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 4:46 pm

Hello everyone,

I use OBS Studio a lot to stream via YouTube or as a webcam for e.g. MS Teams. I would like to extend my setup to use more video signals.

Thus the webcam via USB feature is interesting for me. (As a first step, I would use the ATEM as a premium HDMI interface)

As the extreme version is having two USB connectors, would I be able to have two virtual webcams which I could use for two different video signals at the same time?

In that way I could use those two signals from the ATEM in OBS Studio. Like, Speaker and Presentation in one scene.

The only alternative setup I could imaging is to use TWO ATEM Mini (4ch.) instead of the Extreme. In that way, I should be able to use two webcams, one signal from each device. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks in advanced for any hint.

Best wishes
Volker

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: ATEM Mini Extreme (ISO) vs. two webcams

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 6:02 am

Since the ATEM Mini lineup were designed as video switchers (multiple video inputs switched to a single program video output), the USB-C webcam output on the ATEM Mini always carries the program output signal. So there is only a single program video signal regardless of the ATEM Mini model.

The multiple USB-C ports on the ATEM Mini Extreme were included as the USB ports can be used for multiple purposes beyond just webcam output. So for example, you could connect an external USB disk to one USB port, and use the second USB port as a webcam output (something which wouldn't be possible on the ATEM Mini or ATEM Pro which only have a single USB port).

If you use multiple ATEM Mini switchers, then each switcher would have its own program video output signal, so in principle you could get multiple independent feeds this way.

Jeff P

Re: ATEM Mini Extreme (ISO) vs. two webcams

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 3:44 pm

You can do it, but you'll need an HDMI-to-USB converter. One that converts an HDMI signal to USB so it can be used as a webcam. Atomos makes one -- I'm sure others do too.

First, as you indicated, use one of the USB outputs on the ATEM to feed Program to Webcam-1. This webcam will see whatever is in the Program of the ATEM.

Then connect the HDMI-to-USB converter to one of the HDMI outputs from the ATEM to feed Webcam-2. This webcam will see what ever is in the "Video Out" portion of the ATEM (far right). So what you're doing is using the Video Out portion of the ATEM as an aux switcher within the main switcher.

Return to Live Production