Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro: Weak mic preamps?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

bm1867bm

Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro: Weak mic preamps?

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 5:11 pm

We recently purchased a Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro and are not getting acceptable audio levels when using the XLR mic level on dynamic mics or when using 48v phantom power with condenser mics. The levels barely register when the gain is at the default/starting 50%, and if you increase the gain/volume to 100% the mics still do no reach the level I would expect to see. When talking directly into the mics at 100% gain the peaks on the meters only hit halfway between -20 and -10 [VU(-18dBFS) meter selected]. If you clap loudly right in front of a mic it doesn’t even approach clipping like one would expect. These are not particularly gain hungry mics particularly the condenser mic we are using (Octava mk-012 pencil condenser; Shure MV7). We are seeing issues with both XLR inputs one and two with multiple mics and cables that all work well with other devices we have. Line in audio works fine in the Studio 4K Pro.

My question is this a limitation of the model or does our camera have defective / weak preamps? Is anyone else seeing the same issue with their Studio 4K pro using the mic level XLR inputs?

Thanks,
Kevin

Asgeir Hustad

Re: Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro: Weak mic preamps?

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 6:53 am

Are you sure the inputs aren't set to line level?

bm1867bm

Re: Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro: Weak mic preamps?

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 6:12 pm

Yes, and when connected to a line level source the audio is great.

On this unit it is hard to get this wrong. When line level xlr input is selected the gain is locked in at 50% and you lose the option to even turn on 48v phantom power. I can also confirm that I have turned off the pad settings when on mic level xlr inputs.

When gain is turned up to 100% the audio is still a little weak ( peaks about half way between -20 and -10) and I tend to have a loud voice.

Return to Live Production