Streaming with OBS but utilizing the Web Presenter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

KaseTrosclair

Streaming with OBS but utilizing the Web Presenter

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 8:11 pm

Im looking to get a Blackmagic Design Web Presenter 4K mainly for its encoding capabilities. However, we use OBS for our streaming software. Ideally we would like to stream from OBS but have the Web Presenter do the encoding so it can take the load off the computer. Is this possible (Maybe with an OBS Plug-in) to do? From what i'm seeing on BMD is that you have to stream from the dedicated Web Presenter software. Thanks for any reply! :D

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Streaming with OBS but utilizing the Web Presenter

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 6:24 am

The software included with the Web Presenter HD or 4K is used for configuration purposes, the H.264 encoded video stream goes out directly through the network connection (usually Ethernet port) on the Web Presenter. So after configuring the Web Presenter, it does not need to stay connected to a computer at all.

It sounds like what you might want is to use the DeckLink output feature from OBS to send video signal from OBS over SDI into the video input of the Web Presenter. Then you can use the Web Presenter to stream the OBS output without using the computer or OBS for H.264 encoding.

OBS supports various internal PCIe DeckLink cards for SDI output as well as the UltraStudio Thunderbolt devices. You could also use the OBS full-screen projector option to output over HDMI output and then use an HDMI to SDI converter to get the signal into the Web Presenter.

Bcfischer

Re: Streaming with OBS but utilizing the Web Presenter

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 3:21 am

I just stumbled across this thread after spending about 6 hours trying to get post effects (not monitor) audio from OBS to my new Web Presenter.

Kase, did you figure out how to do this the way that you wanted to? I was having horrible frame drops trying to have my computer encode for me and the web presenter has been solid over the last few weeks. However, I need to get post-effects sound to the web presenter in order to fix latency issues. Haven't found the right way to do it yet. I'm hoping you did.

Thanks in advance, take care, and stay safe,

Brian

Return to Live Production