Ultrastudio 4k mini or something else?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Borgelin

Ultrastudio 4k mini or something else?

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 am

Hi,

I'm setting up a studio with greenscreen for professional instructor-led courses.

I have a camera, Sony FDR-AX700, and I want to be able to:

step 1 - record (and sometimes livestream) the instructor on the greenscreen in 4K...
step 2 - ....then the feed will go into a laptop where i'll set the proper background in OBS Studio (or DaVinci Resolve if thats possible)...
step 3 - ...the feed will then go back out to a big screen somewhere off camera where the instructor can see what he/she is actually pointing at.
I guess this is supposed to work as they do it on the weather-forecast on TV.

Is this possible to do with the Ultrastudio 4k mini by using it as the main signal-hub between these products?

Or would another product be a better choice for this?

I'll appreciate any help that can make my mind at ease and go shopping. :)

BR,
Borg

Borgelin

Re: Ultrastudio 4k mini or something else?

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 8:44 am

Noone has any advice for me?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 am

The UltraStudio 4K Mini is a video capture/video output device, so its function is to take a video signal from some external source (SDI or HDMI) and make it available to the computer. Or to take a video signal from the computer and output it over SDI or HDMI. But it is up to the software running on the computer to actually do something with this video.

The UltraStudio 4K Mini can be configured such that the input video and output video channels are independent, if needed (by default the output signal is typically a copy of the input video signal). So in theory, you could probably use OBS to do some kind of green screen compositing with an UltraStudio 4K (or other DeckLink card), although I'm not sure how good the OBS chroma key controls are.

You might also check out the various Blackmagic ATEM switchers as all of these have built-in chroma key features. With this setup you would just use the laptop to output the background (which you could use the computer's regular HDMI output for) and then the ATEM switcher would do the compositing. So this is less demanding on the video processing capabilities of the computer as the switcher is doing most of the work.

And then if you really want to go higher end, Blackmagic sells the Ultimatte units which are specifically designed for live green screen compositing like this. Ultimatte is what a lot of TV stations actually use for their weather forecasters and other live compositing needs.

Borgelin

PostSun Oct 31, 2021 4:09 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:The UltraStudio 4K Mini is a video capture/video output device, so its function is to take a video signal from some external source (SDI or HDMI) and make it available to the computer. Or to take a video signal from the computer and output it over SDI or HDMI. But it is up to the software running on the computer to actually do something with this video.

The UltraStudio 4K Mini can be configured such that the input video and output video channels are independent, if needed (by default the output signal is typically a copy of the input video signal). So in theory, you could probably use OBS to do some kind of green screen compositing with an UltraStudio 4K (or other DeckLink card), although I'm not sure how good the OBS chroma key controls are.

You might also check out the various Blackmagic ATEM switchers as all of these have built-in chroma key features. With this setup you would just use the laptop to output the background (which you could use the computer's regular HDMI output for) and then the ATEM switcher would do the compositing. So this is less demanding on the video processing capabilities of the computer as the switcher is doing most of the work.

And then if you really want to go higher end, Blackmagic sells the Ultimatte units which are specifically designed for live green screen compositing like this. Ultimatte is what a lot of TV stations actually use for their weather forecasters and other live compositing needs.

Thank you so much, this helps tremendously.

Return to Live Production