Monterey Update

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

AgTech

Monterey Update

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 5:36 pm

Has anyone updated Mac OS to Monterey and having trouble with their Black Magic ATEM Television Studio HD? I don’t have any output from my computer whether it’s mirrored or unmirrored.

Regret installing the update so soon.

freedomworshiptech

Re: Monterey Update

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 11:09 am

I am having the same issue.
Updated my iMac to Monterrey and now have no output no matter what I do.

I was told to change my resolution to 1080i60 but that did not fix it.

No matter what source I plug in to the ATEM, nothing shows up.

Even a DVD player.

We use this to run ProPresenter for our church.
The creators for that software said that the software is not compatible with Monterrey.
This shouldn't have messed with the switcher.

Anyone have any ideas?

ITJon616

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 5:35 pm

I am experiencing the same thing on an iMac updated to Monterey 12.0.1. The iMac detects the external displays, but the ATEM Production Studio shows only black screen on the display and nothing shows up on the projector.

AgTech

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 5:02 pm

Found out that Apple Monterey does not support 1080i yet. (Maybe a future update).

Change display resolutions on both your Mac and the ATEM to 1080p59.97 and it should start working.

My current problem is getting my JVC camera to output something besides 1080i.

raydmatt06

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 5:24 pm

Hello, We are having the same issue with Monterey, ProPresenter, and our Blackmagic ATEM. We are only getting a black screen. I can not find the resolution described above. It is very frustrating that Apple would just delete this when so many use ATEMs. Please help if I am missing something. We are using a 2019 iMac Pro.

greenjack01

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 9:24 pm

I'm in the same boat: updated my MacBook Pro to macOS Monterey and connected it to the ATEM Television Studio HD. The laptop recognizes the ATEM and tries to display, but the ATEM does not show any video.

I'm confident it's a scaling issue in Monterey. As a test, I ran my HDMI through a Gefen HDMI/SDI converter first, which is set to scale for our 1080i system, and then converted the signal back into HDMI using a Blackmagic BiDirectional converter so I could patch into the ATEM. This worked, which leads me to believe that Monterey simply isn't set up to display in 1080i on external displays. The OS is still new, so I hope they patch this problem; otherwise, I'd rather roll back to the old OS than use multiple converters.

stchrischurch

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 3:12 pm

same issue with recorder 3D. Worked before update, now no video using setup app, monitor, OBS. Setup app shows "no device detected".
Oddly enough, MAC OS system config shows the device as connected and active.

Vibe DJ

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 5:29 pm

Spoke to Apple who say its a Blackmagic issue !!! I have to use a Decimator & change the signal now. So frustrating

Spring Branch

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 10:03 pm

Problem solved guys I finally make it work sending signal from Mac OS using Monterrey update to Blackmagic Atem hd.
I did got this cheap hdmi splitter scaler 4K to 1080p on Amazon I plugged on Mac and change resolution in Display on General settings,so open display selec
1080p on your second monitor after this we need to change settings on atem hd open switch controller on your computer go to the settings on the left bottom of screen and look for the resolution settings there by default should be on ( 1080i59.64 ) we need to change that resolution, click on up and down arrows to open resolution menu scroll down to look for 1080p 59.64
Select it click Set and click change and now that you have Mac OS with Monterrey using hdmi splitter scaler on 1080p for secon display and Atem receiving 1080p 59.64 should be receiving signal from Mac to your Atem hd.
On bottom I’m sharing the link for the scaler that I bought.

If more details need it feel free to ask next time may post pictures. Have a great day everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genesys101

PostWed Feb 09, 2022 2:58 am

I see no one has posted here since maybe December but I thought I'd give it a chance anyway.

I work for a church and we too recently updated our Mac to Monterey and proceeded to also the get black screens, I've been trying to troubleshoot this problem for 3-4 weeks now with no resolution. We talked to Apple but that ultimately proved fruitless and as we're on the east coast its proved difficult to talk to BlackMagic directly as of yet. On the advice of someone else on this message board we purchased a HDMI splitter and scaler to try and downgrade the signal to something that the BlackMagic box will recognize and display in conjunction with adjusting the display properties on both the Mac and the Atem itself, so far this hasn't worked either.

For some background on our setup we have an Atem Production Studio 4K box which splits our signal to be pushed to the tvs at the front of the room as well as to our live streaming equipment. We have always treated our Atem solely as a piece of hardware and as such we have only ever used the buttons on the front of the unit to manipulate the output. As mentioned above one of the suggested tweaks was to adjust display properties in both machines but I have no idea how to make those adjustments in the Atem, currently we have no software interface for the Atem as we have never needed it and its not clear to me that there even is one. I should note that we were successful in connecting into the Atem through the USB 2.0 port on the back which allowed us to upgrade the firmware at that time I also downloaded what I thought was the software interface but it was never able to detect the Atem.

Any type of guidance would be greatly appreciated this is my first time dealing with Blackmagic and Atem and my lack of experience is not making the situation any easier.

multitudeschurch

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 2:49 pm

Not sure if this is what you are asking, but if you install the Atem control software, there is a gear icon on the bottom left of the screen. From there, go to the General tab and the very first section is Video. From there, you can change the video standard setting. Hope this helps.

CreativePost

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 12:59 am

I've been racking my brain and the internet to find a solution. After being reminded to update it using the front USB port, I started to try A LOT of different things.

I use this to do online edit sessions via ZOOM. My computer recognized the Black Magic Web Presenter as an additional screen via HDMI but I could not get it to playback anything. It just sat there with a black screen.

MY SOLUTION AND FIX:
Settings -> Displays -> Display Settings -> BMD HDMI (BM Web Presenter)

Use as: Extended Display
Resolution: Default for Display
Color Profile: BMD HDMI
REFRESH RATE: 50 Hertz

The refresh rate was set on 30. I changed it to 50 Hertz and presto it works! I hope this is a solution that can work for everyone!

JD Marlow

PostSat May 07, 2022 12:42 pm

Which Web Presenter model are you using? I have the 4K and have also had trouble with just a black screen when I try to use the web camera in Zoom or Skype.

Chuckwny1987

PostSat May 28, 2022 4:46 pm

I still get device not doing despite everything - any thoughts? ? Thanks.

Return to Live Production