talkback problems

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Raffaele Mariotti

talkback problems

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 4:01 pm

Hello,
I have some Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro connected with SDI in/out to an Atem Television Studio Pro 4K.
I'm trying the talkback feature, and the camera operators can hear me perfectly.
But I can't hear the return from their headsets, no matter what I'm trying.
Blackmagic advertise the use of consumer-grade headsets on the Studio Pro camera, so I tried to connect several kinds of headsets (with TRRS plugs) and also trying a normal headphone on the headphone port, and a normal microphone on the mic port on the cameras.
I also fiddled with the user interface and played around with all the talkback and volume sliders.
I think I tried everything, but I can't hear anything back on the ATEM headphone.
all the cameras and the ATEM are updated to the last firmware available and I also tried resetting everything.

What am I missing?
thanks

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: talkback problems

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 5:30 pm

Hello Raffaele. The microphones need to be turned on at the camera. The TRRS ones like the iPhone style have a switch that you double tap to turn on. Headsets that do not have this kind of switch need to utilize one of the function keys. In the Setup Menu under Function Keys, Select Toggle On/Off. Under Parameters, select Push to Talk. The Function button will push to talk or when double tapped, stay on. I hope this helps.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Raffaele Mariotti

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 1:22 pm

thank you Gary, it works perfectly now.
but why is there no mention of this in the ATEM manual or in the camera manual?

quadjojo

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 6:33 pm

Hey!
Im also having Problems with my Talkback Settings.

Im using TV Studio 4K Pro and 3x Studio Camera 4K Pro.
Cameras connected with 2 SDI Cables.
Talkback on 15/16 is activated in the TVS 4K, also no mutes or n-1 assignments.

Headsets are EPOS Gaming GSP 302 with the smaller Connectors.
By switching to 3,5mm Mic as Audio-In on the Camera i checked that the Mic is working... Yes there is Signal from the Microphone and i can hear my Voice. Switched the Audio 1&2 back to internal Mics.

I mapped the Push to Talk Button to F3 but there is no Talkback Signal.

I even set the Headphone Mic Level to 100% and can hear how the Ground Noise is coming up on my Headphones when i press F3... but still no Signal from the Mic.

Do i have to switch Talkback Mic from the 5Pin connecter to 3,5 manually? And if so.. how?

Thank you in advance!
Toby

Return to Live Production