Can’t control Gain, Shutter and WB from ATEM SoftwareControl

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

torarnesandnes

Can’t control Gain, Shutter and WB from ATEM SoftwareControl

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 1:03 pm

I have a BMD Studio Camera 4K Pro connected with SDI to an ATEM Television Studio HD switcher. The return back to the camera is also running on SDI. Video out, Return, Tally and Com is all working great.

The problem is that I can’t control Gain, Shutter and WB on the Studio Camera 4K Pro from the Camera tab in the ATEM Software Control. Everything else is functioning. The values from the camera for Gain and WB isn’t showing up at all in the Software Control. When I’m trying to adjust those parameters on the LCD on the camera it’s popping back to Gain 0, Shutter 1/50 and WB 5600K.

Any thoughts?

Johannes Jonsson

Re: Can’t control Gain, Shutter and WB from ATEM SoftwareCon

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 11:54 am

You need the BM Bidirectional converter 3G to make it work.
You need to use SDI in out on the TV studio into the converter to get controls for the pocket into the HDMI because there is no control data sent from HDMI connections on the TV studio.
Make sure it is the 3G version of the bidirectional converter, the older non 3G does not let the data through.
Johannes

torarnesandnes

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 12:13 pm

Thank you for your feedback. All signals to/from the Studio 4K Pro camera is SDI (in/out 5-8 on the TVS HD). I'm not trying to control a camera connected with HDMI (in/out 1-4 on the TVS HD).

robertsmu

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 6:27 pm

You have to set the camera ID.

torarnesandnes

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 6:50 pm

I have done that and it fixed the Tally, but not the CCU-problem with Gain, Shutter and WB.

Asgeir Hustad

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 11:03 am

And you will never get the settings from the camera viewed in the Software Control - the ATEM is always master, and does not read the current settings. To me this sounds like you haven't set the Camera ID correctly in the camera.

The fact that the camera does not allow settings means that it's reading some form of Camera Control on the SDI Input (0dB and 5600k are ATEM defaults on power-up). Try adjusting the camera ID in the camera settings, and then adjusting the correct camera in the Software Control.

@Johannes: He's using SDI all the way and a Studio 4K Pro, not a Pocket, no need for a bidirectional converter.

Johannes Jonsson

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 11:31 am

Asgeir Hustad wrote:@Johannes: He's using SDI all the way and a Studio 4K Pro, not a Pocket, no need for a bidirectional converter.

Ahh, I am so used to give answer on this matter to people using Pocket so somehow it is stuck in my mind.

Yea, you are using Studio 4K Pro so there is no need for the converter.
Johannes

TerrorByte

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 7:58 pm

Gonna revive a dead thread, this is currently happening to me as well and I still haven't found a solution. Versions 8.3 and lower work fine, but anything higher and I start experiencing issues controlling Filter, Gain, Shutter, and WB. Camera IDs are set correctly and tally, talkback, color correction, and focus controls all work from within the software control. However, I cannot control the other 4 options on any version of software control higher than 8.3. Blackmagic Support states they are not able to replicate this in their lab, but clearly, it's an issue since at least myself and one other person are experiencing this problem. In my case, my setup is exactly the same as the original posters. I have 3 Studio 4K Pro's and a Television Studio HD all connected directly with SDI, no weird adapters or anything, and all 3 fail to be controlled in Software Control >8.3.

SynTesla

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 11:34 am

Check that the cameras on the ATEM Software Control are not locked (padlock icon on the top right of each camera area)

Moulaythami

PostThu Jun 22, 2023 5:36 pm

WORKAROUND

:arrow: The workaround is to run a HDMI splitter from non-Blackmagic camera output to ATEM's input, this kind of reset all informations coming from non-Blackmagic cameras, and allows the ATEM to consider them as "Generic".
Allowing for remote camera control and recording of Blackmagic cameras from the ATEM Software Control.

I founded this solution on this thread : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=110799
Thanks to the user "unclebus"

The thing is that non-Blackmagic devices plugged into the ATEM create conflict when plugged and disconnect the control of Blackmagic devices remotely with HDMI. If you connect Blackmagic device only, the control should be back, but as soon as you plug a non-Blackmagic device into the ATEM, the remote control is lost.

Peace out and have fun!

dclaar

PostSun Nov 05, 2023 11:49 pm

I started seeing this recently. Changing the GAIN used to work. Then it got to where it would only work if I changed 2 or more clicks. Now it doesn't work at all. We have the Studio Pro 4k, with SDI everything, so the HDMI solutions don't apply. Maybe I'll try power cycling.

Return to Live Production