Control Micro Cinema Camera with the ATM Mini

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

noxic_v2

Control Micro Cinema Camera with the ATM Mini

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 7:35 am

Hi There,
Can the Micro Cinema Camera also be controlled via ATEM Software Control?
Does anyone have experience with this?

noxic_v2

Re: Control Micro Cinema Camera with the ATM Mini

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 1:51 pm

… or do i need to do a firmware update to make it work?
best regards,
Michael

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 10:17 am

I believe only the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K and 6K (and now the Studio Camera 4K Plus and Pro) allow for camera control over HDMI.

The ATEM camera control features were added to the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K and 6K in Camera Update 6.9 in April 2020, but there were no updates for other camera models in that release:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... 8fc204cd4f

As far as I can tell, the last update for the Micro Cinema Camera was Camera Update 4.7.1 in 2017 which predates the release of the ATEM Mini and HDMI camera control features.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 1:45 pm

Micro Cinema camera does NOT have the hardware needed to do this. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Johannes Jonsson

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 2:34 pm

The Micro cinema camera does not but Micro Studio 4k does.
Johannes

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 5:16 pm

Even for the Micro Studio Camera 4K, I believe that it only supports camera control features over the SDI return input. Which means that you would need a BiDirectional Micro Converter 3G to use this with the HDMI only ATEM Mini lineup.

It doesn't seem that either the Micro Studio Camera 4K or Micro Cinema Camera have received any kind of firmware update to enable camera control using the HDMI CEC communication (allowing for a single HDMI cable to be used for both video and control with the ATEM Mini).

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 5:40 pm

Dave is correct.. And also try to get your hands on a Micro Studio camera these days.. :roll:

I have a client that is waiting on 4 units for over 6 months now.. And i know bmd pulled the Micro studio from the order system.. So i guess they wont see them for a while anyway..
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jack Fairley

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 6:15 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Dave is correct.. And also try to get your hands on a Micro Studio camera these days.. :roll:

I have a client that is waiting on 4 units for over 6 months now.. And i know bmd pulled the Micro studio from the order system.. So i guess they wont see them for a while anyway..

I will forgive them if they release a G2 with Pocket 4K sesnor ;)
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 2:53 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:
Xtreemtec wrote:Dave is correct.. And also try to get your hands on a Micro Studio camera these days.. :roll:

I will forgive them if they release a G2 with Pocket 4K sesnor ;)

If they would.. Expect a G2 with the 6K sensor of the Studio Pro camera. This is the closest sensor and build form towards the Micro. And will allow for 12G output. ;)

Howard Roll

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 3:13 pm

Use the Arduino shield to extract camera control from SDI and output PWM or Sbus to control the camera via the expansion port. Not an “add to cart” solution but acheivable with over the counter parts and a little tenacity.

Good Luck

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 6:50 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Use the Arduino shield to extract camera control from SDI and output PWM or Sbus to control the camera via the expansion port. Not an “add to cart” solution but acheivable with over the counter parts and a little tenacity.

Good Luck

The arduino shield doesnt work very well for data extraction. In our tests it missed about 20% of the commands send from the Atem.. That is probably why BMD never released the Extraction part of this board.

It's perfect for sending data.. But not good at all for receiving.. ;)

Johannes Jonsson

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 7:47 am

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:Even for the Micro Studio Camera 4K, I believe that it only supports camera control features over the SDI return input. Which means that you would need a BiDirectional Micro Converter 3G to use this with the HDMI only ATEM Mini lineup.

It doesn't seem that either the Micro Studio Camera 4K or Micro Cinema Camera have received any kind of firmware update to enable camera control using the HDMI CEC communication (allowing for a single HDMI cable to be used for both video and control with the ATEM Mini).

I have Micro Studio 4k and it works flawlessly with camera control from ATEM but I am using ATEM TV Studio so I personally can not confirm with Minis but I have seen it working on Mini using Camera control by using Bidirectional converter 3G.
Johannes

Xtreemtec

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 10:09 am

Johannes Jonsson wrote:
Dave Del Vecchio wrote:Even for the Micro Studio Camera 4K, I believe that it only supports camera control features over the SDI return input. Which means that you would need a BiDirectional Micro Converter 3G to use this with the HDMI only ATEM Mini lineup.

I have Micro Studio 4k and it works flawlessly with camera control from ATEM but I am using ATEM TV Studio so I personally can not confirm with Minis but I have seen it working on Mini using Camera control by using Bidirectional converter 3G.

Topic Starter asks about the Micro Cinema camera. Not the Micro Studio Camera

In name they are almost the same.. But studio has SDI in out and a 4K sensor. The Cinema camera is HD and has internal recording and HDMI only... ;)

Return to Live Production