Need second Program Out on Mini Extreme

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

pancake

Need second Program Out on Mini Extreme

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 7:08 am

Hey there. I'm scratching my head over the following setup for our studio-style livestreams: we have purchased the ATEM Mini Extreme because of the second HDMI-out, which saves us a lot of headache to get the program out on a seperate display for the presenters. On that display, they see what we're broadcasting live, e.g. to keep them from stepping behind the PIP. The single HDMI-out on the ATEM Pro's we have was used for the MultiView, so to get the Program Out on a second display we used the USB-out as webcam, then fed that into our production MacBook Pro, QuickTime Player with recording window set to full screen on an attached display. Really messy, error-prone, and the heavily decked out MacBook Pro (Intel) was choking on encoding the webcam feed (our broadcasts are 7+ hours).

So, then there's the Extreme, and because of the second HDMI-out it solves a lot of the mess I describe above. But... we had a cool option to show a countdown timer on the presenter's display. And here's my question: would it be somehow possible to overlay something on the Program Out that goes to the second HDMI out? I know the opposite is possible (Clean HDMI), but I'm scratching my head if I can make this work. I noticed that in SuperSource you cannot add in Program Out, which makes sense. But is there another option, or do we really have to attach an iPad beneath the presenter's display? Love to hear your ideas.

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Need second Program Out on Mini Extreme

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 11:03 pm

You are essentially asking for a second Mix/Effects (M/E) bus so that you can have separate keying overlays and other video content on each bus. This is what the ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio switcher can do. Or in the case of of the ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio, you can have up to 4 outputs with independent content.

Obviously those ATEM models are quite a bit more expensive though. So you might just consider adding something like a regular ATEM Mini between the HDMI program output of your current switcher (ATEM Mini Extreme) and the presenter's display. Then you can use that additional ATEM Mini to add whatever customization you want on top of the program video from the main switcher.

pancake

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 6:35 am

Thanks for explaining this Dave. So that's what the "M/E" tacked to the ATEM's stands for, I already wondered.
So yes, this is probably asking too much from the ATEM Mini Extreme, but your workaround with a second ATEM Mini is worth trying out. We have two Mini Pro's (one's replaced by the Extreme, the other one is a back-up device). Takes more stuff to carry, but adds great flexibility in what we're showing on the presenter's screen. Thanks for this suggestion, much appreciated.

The workaround that I was thinking about myself was: rebuild a copy of what we're sending to the Program Out (usually just a camera with a PIP showing the presenter's slides) in SuperSource and send that to the second HDMI. Would require some extensive macro programming to get SuperSource and Program Out in sync, but it may be doable. Switching would be done exclusively through macros (on a StreamDeck), but that's already the case. And yes, the SuperSource version would be more crude (no fades etc.). But perhaps I'm totally wrong in my understanding of SuperSource, so will have to spend some more time here...

Jeff P

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 2:58 pm

Do you still have your ATEM Mini Pro?

pancake

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 8:23 pm

Jeff P wrote:Do you still have your ATEM Mini Pro?

Yes, we still have two Pro's, but my forum account is still under moderation, so my answers don't really show up in a timely fashion here :|

Jeff P

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 2:15 pm

pancake wrote:
Jeff P wrote:Do you still have your ATEM Mini Pro?

Yes, we still have two Pro's:|

You can use one of your Pros as an M/E. Take the Program out of the Extreme (the one you're running to the presenter monitor) and run it into one of the inputs of the Pro. Then add the timer using one of the keys on the Pro. Run the Program out of the Pro of the presenter monitor.

Sort of like adding a downstream key on your presenter feed.

pancake

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 4:24 pm

Jeff P wrote:Then add the timer using one of the keys on the Pro. Run the Program out of the Pro of the presenter monitor.

Thanks for the advice Jeff. But more hardware means: more points of failure, and I'm not sure I'm happy that I can't monitor what's really visible on the presenter's display from our control area.

So I'm taking a different route, and I'm getting quite far actually: I'm sacrificing Supersource to create a "presenter view", which is modeled after the most used Program Out configuration (left side of the frame main camera with presenter seeing him/herself, presentation in a PIP next to it) , but with a few twists: synchronously shows the moderator cam in one of the other "boxes" when it gets switched (keyed in a small frame for the audience), and using the last remaining box of Supersource to continuously show a timer (feeding that as an HDMI monitor out from the MacBook Pro running ATEM Software Control). It's amazingly flexible. We might even put messages for the presenters in the timer area. I'm pretty impressed what the Extreme can do for us.

When the presenter clicks through his/her slides, we usually show them fullscreen for a moment. I'm planning to mimick this for this "presenter view" as well, so both the audience and presenter see when the presentation is full screen.

Return to Live Production