atem mini pro no hdmi audio out

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

DougSz

atem mini pro no hdmi audio out

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 1:48 pm

Am I missing some hidden setting?

I am told I should get audio, as well as video out of the HDMI port (multiview monitor). My monitor has a speaker which works fine with other sources. I have tried an HDMI audio extractor, which also works with other sources. (Video is OK)
Otherwise audio is Ok for streaming and USB connection.

Is my ATEM Mini Pro broken?

pancake

Re: atem mini pro no hdmi audio out

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 2:57 pm

It should definitely work, it works over here with both our ATEM Mini Pro's. We use it with a headphone splitter on the monitor to get program out audio on two headphones.

petera

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 11:54 pm

I have a new atem mini extreme with the same problem. Occasionally I will get audio out on the HDMI output but mostly none. Can't find a way to get it reliably.

petera

PostWed Dec 22, 2021 9:54 pm

I checked my ATEM Mini Pro and it has the same problem, no audio on the HDMI Out. This is not a problem on the Pro and for the Multiview monitor on the Extreme. It is a problem on the second HDMI Out that I send to local TV. I need the audio track for that.

I'm wondering if it is a setting?

petera

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 2:18 am

After doing more testing, the problem seems to be with the mic inputs. When audio comes with a camera input it feeds to HDMI out fine.

Sometimes I get audio from the mic input to HDMI Out, sometimes not. It does not seem to be a function of the audio settings.

randyd

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 6:05 am

Do you have an audio source enabled?

petera

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 4:15 pm

Yes, input source is enabled. The frustrating part is sometimes it works. However...

I think I have found the source of the problem at least for the Mini Pro. If I connect the HDMI Out directly to a TV, I get audio as well as video. Connecting to a PC Monitor with speakers, no audio. This suggests problem is the way the ATEM is handling the HDMI protocol.

I have similar issue with the vMix/PC setup I'm looking to replace with the ATEM Mini Extreme. The video out from the PC graphics card goes to an HDMI splitter which then feeds a TV in the church lobby and a Gefen matrix switch. Audio on the TV in the lobby is hit or miss unless I follow a particular system startup sequence; TV On > PC ON > HDMI Splitter ON. I have not found a similar fix for the Mini Extreme.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 4:40 pm

When there are problems with missing audio when using the microphone inputs on the ATEM mini, it is usually traced down to the Left and Right channels being incorrectly wired to a balanced analog circuit. For example, if you simply take a balanced XLR audio feed and wire directly to the 3.5mm plug, the channels will be out of phase. Listening to the program output in stereo will provide audio (out of phase) and to most will sound normal. Listening to the same feed on a monitor with a mono speaker (this happens with smart phones with mono outputs), will have no audio since the two channels when mixed will cancel out completely. So if you want to actually test for this condition without rewiring anything, Split the stereo feed in the ATEM Mini into two separate channels. Then turn off or pull down the fader to one of the channels (either one). If you now hear the audio, then they are out of phase.

I'm not saying this is the problem the posters are describing but it may be. If you see audio on the Program meters in the ATEM, then the audio will be present on the HDMI. There is no method of negotiation that will turn off the audio. If you do have out of phase audio, there are several corrective methods, many described elsewhere in the forum. The quickest one is to leave the Mini with the single channel enabled in this test and pan it to center with the control. The proper method is to correct the wiring or use a balanced to unbalanced device.

I hope this helps. Stay safe.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

petera

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 6:31 pm

Thanks, Gary for the input on audio possibly being out of phase. I will check for that. In any case, further testing on Mini Extreme - PC monitor on HDMI Out 1 and TV on HDMI Out 2. I get audio on the TV but not on the PC monitor. That works fine for my setup. The only question is whether it stays that way. In the meantime, I will check for audio phasing as a possible issue.

pancake

PostFri Dec 24, 2021 8:49 pm

petera wrote:It is a problem on the second HDMI Out that I send to local TV.

There is no second HDMI out on a Mini Pro. So as I understand it, you have an HDMI splitter in the mix. Using splitters is generally a cause for trouble. Sometimes things work, mostly things don't when using a splitter (splitters that don't have external power are often not even getting any signal through).
In most situations where I need a splitter I end up wiring things differently and get it to work eventually (most of the time, you can put the splitter somewhere else and get the same result). Good luck.

petera

PostSun Dec 26, 2021 9:42 pm

I agree HDMI splitters are hit and miss when it comes to passing audio. I have a Gefen 4X4 HDMI Matrix switch in my setup and it does not reliably pass audio either.

I do not use an HDMI splitter with my Mini Pro. I do use one with my Mini Extreme where I need 3 HDMI outputs. Fortunately, having the audio on those outputs is not super critical, just annoying that it is not always there. I'm looking for a more reliable solution. Open to suggestions.

Return to Live Production