GoPro Hero 3+ and ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

David Levin

GoPro Hero 3+ and ATEM

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 8:45 pm

I have seen many posts regarding GoPro and connecting them to atem switchers, I have used many myself mostly with GoPro hero 3 black edition. I have used gefen's hdmi detective pro to use them with the hdmi to ddi converters for long runs and have had no problem. Until now... I have purchased a new go pro hero 3+ and I am having absolutely no luck when using it the way I mentioned above. I can connect it directly with no problems but when I try to connect it to the detective pro I get no picture when recording the EDID but when I connect it to a TV it will come through but when its recording it will show no image.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this, come up with a solution or even a work around. If not would like to know asap so I can return the go pro and get the standard edition.

Thanks!

Salamanqueja

Re: GoPro Hero 3+ and ATEM

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 1:50 am

I am having several issues with Atem Production Studio 4K and gopros
I have Gopro hero 3 black and silver edition. It turns that I have to set te black to 720p/120 FPS because if i set it in 60 > Black screen. Despite that i set the silver in 720/60fps and works fine.
Is weird isn´t it? one GP working at 120 fps and the other 720p @ 60 fps.

In the other hand.. I purchased a 4K resolution switcher but I can´t use my cameras in full resolution.. maybe 1080p (24, 30, 60 fps, none of them)

I am pretty disappointed of this product!

Michael Tiemann

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 2:10 am

I bought a pair of GoPro Hero3 cameras last year in hopes of using them as mini POV cameras in a live production environment. No dice: the GoPro HDMI output was completely unrelated to the video mode I was shooting. When I selected 1080p30 as my video mode, it would output 1080p60, because, hey, 60 is better than 30, right? I contacted GoPro about this issue, and after many, many attempts to get to the root of the problem, the reality is that GoPro don't really consider the HDMI output as something they should try to control. Their attitude is: it's designed to record to the microSD card. Be happy with that. End of story.

I really don't expect GoPro Hero cameras to behave well in a live studio environment until GoPro change their product team. They started well with Silver, but went bad with Black, and they are probably going even further in the wrong direction with Plus. What a shame.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

David Levin

Re: GoPro Hero 3+ and ATEM (1080) Solution

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 5:54 am

SO! ready for the good news! after lots of research on GoPros and output formats along with many previous posts I was able to build up some time to test out every solution from previous GoPro Units. After a lot of trial and error I was able to finally get the new GoPro Hero 3+ working in 1080 at 60 into the switcher, and working with the HDMI to SDI.

I will work on documenting a complete guideline into how I was able to do this but for anyone currently testing out a solution. I want you guys to know that it is possible. I will also provide pictures and video once I set up the system tomorrow and complete my new build and rack.

So - to do this you will have to start with testing the go pro out in 720 at 100 Frames, change your switcher to 720 at 60. GoPros formula and algorithm is compicated but overall the 720 mode and even the 1080 at times isn't outputting the FULL HD it says it is, it is only recording it.

I was able to even run the 720 at 100 frames with the HDMI to SDI with no Gefen HDMI detective. it worked well, although the quality was not as good was a FULL 1080 - lots of distortion (also testing out multiple hdmi wires running from go pro, might be the problem)

Once you program Gefen HDMI Detective at 720 then switch the ATEM to 1080. The switcher actually pulls the GoPros single through at 720 without using any scaler only with the Gefen.

I then go into the menu and shift the signal to 1080 at 60 frames. This is a work around solution which then I updated the Gefen and SAVED IT. I was able to then connect the gefen to the HDMI to SDI and had the entire system working.

A few key parts to point out is,
1. You have to BABY the GoPros(once you get it working its great, sometimes I wouldn't get video but the camera would come through)
2. Reset and try again,
3. make sure you also turn off the camera after hdmi input changes.

Hope this helps a few that needed it. I'll work on a full overview when I get a chance.

David

Michael Tiemann

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 4:49 pm

David, thanks for your detective work. But shame on GoPro!!! Imagine millions of users spending hours screwing around with these flaky cameras for hours. What a waste of time and productivity! Instead, their engineering team should spend a fraction of that time and fix the problem correctly, namely,

(1) never send down the HDMI cable a higher video format than the one being recorded, and

(2) when in doubt, send a standard format rate in preference to a non-standard one
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

nhtech

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 12:09 am

Once you program Gefen HDMI Detective at 720 then switch the ATEM to 1080. The switcher actually pulls the GoPros single through at 720 without using any scaler only with the Gefen.

Sounds like to much work. We have 3 Go Pro's in our camera mix, GoPro2, GoPro3 Black, and GoPro 3+, all of them set at 1080-60 Wide, all of them connected hdmi to BMD HDMI to HD_SDI adapters, and HD-SDI back to ATEM2 inputs. Have not had a problem with getting this setup, worked first and every time with no problems. However, we have noticed one thing using all 3 of these models and alternating their locations so that each camera was at each position at least once. The GP2 actually has a sharper output then both the GP3 and the GP3+. I'm not sure if this is something GP did on purpose because it's just as a monitor or if it's due to the Micro HDMI vs. Mini HDMI cabling. But there is definitely a difference and you can see it on the recorded output. Something to consider if you are going to use them as primary cameras.
ATEM2 Switcher
ATEM2 Panel
ATEM Tally
SmartView
Smartscope Duo
ATEM TV
Hyperdeck Studio Pro
Intensity Extreme
Ultradeck Studio Thunderbolt
Ultradeck 3d
Broadcast Router
Video Hub Master Control
Video Hub Smart Control
H.264 Recorder
BMD UDC
BMD SyncGen

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 2:05 am

how did you set the GoPro2 to 1080-60 when 1080-30 is its highest setting?
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

nhtech

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 4:13 am

how did you set the GoPro2 to 1080-60 when 1080-30 is its highest setting?

not sure if you did any firmware updates but my go pro 2 does 1080-60 and 1080-30.
ATEM2 Switcher
ATEM2 Panel
ATEM Tally
SmartView
Smartscope Duo
ATEM TV
Hyperdeck Studio Pro
Intensity Extreme
Ultradeck Studio Thunderbolt
Ultradeck 3d
Broadcast Router
Video Hub Master Control
Video Hub Smart Control
H.264 Recorder
BMD UDC
BMD SyncGen

robbovnm

PostMon Dec 30, 2013 5:31 am

I just picked up a mini battery HDMI to SDI converter and SDI to component converter. I am having problems with getting the video through. I have tested every component in the system but can't get my GP 2 to convert through the BM mini battery converter. Any suggestions?

Scott Smith

PostMon Dec 30, 2013 1:21 pm

My BMD battery converter wouldn't work for my gopro to ATEM scenario. But my AJA HDMI to SDI converter did just fine. Funny that a BMD product wouldn't work with another BMD product, yet their biggest competition worked just fine. Go figure.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Chris-MOS

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 2:12 am

Hello there - just wanted to post my success on getting the Hero 3+ outputting at 1080i into my ATEM 2 M/E over SDI through a BMD SDI mini converter...

I was following all the info online I could find and thought I'd take a punt on an £80 HDMI EDID/DDC emulator by Lindy...

I can't post the link due to forum rules but if you google lindy HDMI EDID it'll come up.

Works perfectly, one of the dip switch settings will offer the gopro the choice of 1080i or 720p, so it chooses 1080i for almost all shoot resolutions. I now have both my hero 3+ cams working over SDI... the edid box even has a USB pass through on it, so I can still power both units from one socket, plus one for the SDI converter.

I realise some people are still struggling with this setup so had to share that there's an £80 box which fixes it...

cgoss

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 7:51 am

Chris-MOS wrote:Hello there - just wanted to post my success on getting the Hero 3+ outputting at 1080i into my ATEM 2 M/E over SDI through a BMD SDI mini converter...

I was following all the info online I could find and thought I'd take a punt on an £80 HDMI EDID/DDC emulator by Lindy...

I can't post the link due to forum rules but if you google lindy HDMI EDID it'll come up.

Works perfectly, one of the dip switch settings will offer the gopro the choice of 1080i or 720p, so it chooses 1080i for almost all shoot resolutions. I now have both my hero 3+ cams working over SDI... the edid box even has a USB pass through on it, so I can still power both units from one socket, plus one for the SDI converter.

I realise some people are still struggling with this setup so had to share that there's an £80 box which fixes it...

I'm looking to connect two gopro3's to my atem TV studio along with two sdi cams that run at 1080-50 into the switcher. Using the lindy HDMI EDID does it output as 1080-60 or can you set to 1080-50?

Lukas Kadys

PostSun Jul 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Good day to all.

I did found a solution that worked for me.

The kit that i'm using is a Gopro Hero 3+ black version 2.00.0 and a BMD mini converter HDMI to SDI 4k.

I was strugling untill I updated the mini converter's firmware.

Now it works like a charm on 1080i 50.

Hope that helps! ;)
Lukas Kadys

videokadr

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi

the best results is when I used camera converter with last software. Then may be send coretly signal by SDI or by the fiber to ATEM.
8 cameras OBVAN HD, low prices, working EU area, www.videokadr.pl, videokadr@wp.pl
Jacek Niewadzi

redrob

HDMI EDID/DDC emulator, ATEM and GoPro4/5

PostTue May 09, 2017 1:16 am

Someone above indicated that the HDMI EDID/DDC emulator by Lindy made their ATEM 1M/E work with the Hero 3+.

My Hero3+ works fine with my ATEM 1M/E set to 1080i or 720p.

My Hero4 and Hero5 ONLY work with my ATEM when set to 720p. At 1080i config on the ATEM, those GoPros do not show up -- I'm presuming they are sending 1080p and without the EDID to know better that's all they will do.

QUESTION -- I looked at the manual on the Lindy product, and I don't see a way to tell it to send 1080i as the EDID info. to the GoPro... just "1080i/p". How did you get it to work properly? Have you tried it with the newer HERO4 and HERO5 cameras?

Return to Live Production