Mix Minus Aux Program Output on ATEM 1 M/E

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TwentyJames

Mix Minus Aux Program Output on ATEM 1 M/E

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 5:24 pm

Hi there,

I am looking to purchase an ATEM 1 M/E mixer, and would like to send a feed to a monitor on the studio floor so that talent can see program output - but I don't want to send a mix minus feed so that when studio mics are live, they are not played out of the studio monitor speakers - but everything else (eg VT sound) is.

To explain a bit more about my setup, I will have 3x talent radio mic'd into an external mixer. That mixer output goes back to one of my 3 cameras, and then enters the vision mixer along the SDI cable as one mixed audio feed together with the vision. I.e. when I turn on audio for that SDI input, it is all three of the mics.

Meanwhile, I will be running VT's and graphics into a separate SDI input via an UltraStudio connected to a laptop running MimoLive. This sound I *do* want to come out on the aux output. The camera sound I *do not*.

TLDR: my question is: can the aux output be configured so that you only receive certain audio input (where the main program output will have all inputs live)

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Mix Minus Aux Program Output on ATEM 1 M/E

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 11:38 pm

Unfortunately, the ATEM switchers only support a single stereo audio mix that gets applied to all of the hardware video outputs (Program, Aux, etc.). It isn't currently possible to configure multiple independent submixes using the ATEM audio mixer.

There have been several previous discussions and feature requests around this limitation:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=253#p498244
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105904

Since you are already using a separate external audio mixer (which hopefully supports multiple submixes), it would probably be easiest to do the audio mixing there and then use a separate audio embedder (such as the Mini Converter Audio to SDI) to embed the audio mix into whatever SDI video signal you want to use.

Jeff P

Re: Mix Minus Aux Program Output on ATEM 1 M/E

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 2:05 pm

If I'm reading this correctly, there are two problems.

1) The first may just be a terminology mix-up. You start by saying you don't want to send mix-minus to the studio monitor, then finish by saying you want to send program audio, minus the mics. That's what mix-minus is: program minus the mics.

2) Regardless of whether your equipment has the ability to route mix-minus (program minus the mics) to the studio, you can't have program audio playing on a speaker in the studio when the mics are hot. This will cause the an echo as the audio from the speaker will be picked up from the open mics. That's why you always see on-air talent wearing an ear-piece -- so mix-minus can be heard by them without being picked up by their mic. The earpiece also allows for IFB so the director can give cues to the talent that only the talent can hear.

In a professional broadcast studio, the monitor speaker in the studio is automatically muted whenever a mic source is opened on the mixer. When all mics are turned off at the mixer, the studio monitor speaker is unmuted.

Return to Live Production