Recording + Streaming at the same time

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

AlexFr34

Recording + Streaming at the same time

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 8:52 am

Hi everyone,
I am in desperate need for help because I am struggeling to set up a Live-Streaming session for university: I would like to record the session directly to an transcendend axternal hard drive. Therfore, I attached one to the USB out on my atem mini pro iso. But when I connect the Atem nov via ethernet, the computer does not see it as a webcam anymore. That means, when I open zoom, I can not choose the Atem as a webcam any longer. Can anyone help me? What can I do? How can I stream and record at the same time? I would be alble to use a cpture card for support but do not know how to.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

DutchRCTimeKeeping

Re: Recording + Streaming at the same time

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 11:39 am

The Atem Mini Pro is capable of doing the livestreaming directly... why connect it to a computer and use the Atem as a webcam?

TinenTech

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 4:09 am

The issue is that, unlike YouTube and Twitch, it doesn't seem that Zoom has a place to paste a stream
key and use the ATEM MP's streaming hardware. All I can see is hooking up the ATEM via USB (which makes "Blackmagic Design" appear as a video and audio source), which means you can't record to a drive via USB.

The workaround is to record within Zoom, either to the cloud or to the internal drive. When I did this last, it records in very low resolution. Better to simulcast to YouTube and record it there.

Bet there's a way to get the Ethernet of the ATEM to connect to Zoom, but I haven't found it yet.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 1:13 pm

When you connect a Drive to the Atem it needs to go in USB HOST mode. As the Drive is the Slave at that moment.

While to work as a Webcam the Atem needs be Slave as the Computer is the Host.

The only work arround is to run Atem as Webcam and record in zoom. ;) Or buy an external recorder and connect that to the video output of the Atem mini.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

redrob

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 2:52 am

Probably not the ideal you want to hear but... here are some ideas that will work ...

• Upgrade to the Extreme -- it has two USB ports, one can record and the other output to the computer as a UVC Webcam (for Zoom)
  • Use as a UVC Webcam to your computer. Load that into OBS which can record it in full resolution.
    Output OBS as a "virtual camera" which you use in Zoom
  • Get a field recorder and record the HDMI PGM output to that and the UVC to the computer for Zoom.
    The (big) downside here is you'll lose your multi-view

Return to Live Production