Elgato 4k60s+ into atem iso question

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Cheatsdisabled

Elgato 4k60s+ into atem iso question

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 5:37 pm

I am a streamer and content creator looking to expand my ability and quality. I am currently using an elgato 4k 60s+ as a capture card to record footage from my ps5 and as the passthrough for my console when I stream on twitch. I'd love to switch to an atem iso as the separate files and davinci project file would make things so much more convenient.

My dilemma is using the iso my console footage would be recorded in 1080 instead of 4k if I'm reading correctly.

So my proposed solution would be plugging the ps5 HDMI into the in of the elgato. Using it's stand alone 4k recorder to record tothe sd card. Then plug the HDMI out into the atem with everything else. Effectively giving me two recordings of the game footage while everything is streamed to twitch from the atem iso.

Concerns I have. First and foremost, that it's simply not going to work. Second and equally as important there would be a delay from going from elgato to atem to monitor effectively making the game unplayable.

I've read that you can just finish the project in 4k on davinci but I'm not sure how footage recorded on the atem iso from the ps5 would look finished in 4k.

Any advice?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Elgato 4k60s+ into atem iso question

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 4:42 am

The ATEM Mini switchers are HD only, so they will only accept a maximum resolution of 1080p60 on their HDMI inputs. Which means that if you send a 4K signal from the Elgato 4K60 S+ passthrough output directly into one of the ATEM Mini HDMI inputs, the 4K video signal will not be recognized.

So, you would either need a 4K capable video switcher (Blackmagic does sell several 4K switchers, but they are more expensive than the ATEM Mini and don't have built-in recording or streaming features). Or you would likely need some kind of video scaler to take the 4K video source and downscale it to HD. The Teranex AV can do 4K to HD video conversions, but is more of a broadcast-oriented unit, so it may be a bit more expensive than you are looking for. And it also adds 2 frames of latency when doing video scaling.

So if you wanted to go down this path, you might investigate some of the more consumer oriented HDMI video scalers. For example, there are some HDMI splitters that can take a 4K input signal and do a 4K pass-through on one output and a 4K to HD down conversion on the second output. HDFury makes a couple of products along these lines, such as the Vertex and Integral 2.

From your description, it is a little unclear what other video sources you are sending into the ATEM Mini though, and why you think using it would improve your workflow. The ATEM Mini lineup are primarily designed as multi-input video switchers, that also have some streaming and video recording features built-in (depending on the model).

Return to Live Production