Maximum bnc cable length

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Platon Kavvadias

Maximum bnc cable length

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 1:02 am

Hello,

I'm using a TVS with BM hdmi to sdi converter.

I'm thinking of using an 100m sdi cable (75ohm sssnake) and i'd like to check if anyone had tried it before or if anyone had tried something else in that distance.

Thanks !

John Saunders

Re: Maximum bnc cable length

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 2:23 am

Depends on the cable...

Some cable like belden 1694 will do that length but a lot won't.
John Saunders

evilb66

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 2:24 am

cable length is related to resolution. but even in hd 100m is ok an long as the cable is good.
sd you can easily double that.
the first part of my real name is Mr B. if that's not enough for bmd, please cancel my registration to this site. then i will re-register with a new email and fake name anyway.

Scott Ryan

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 2:29 am

I think 100 meters (328 feet) is about the farthest you can go with SDI (for HD) without re-clocking. I've run approximately this distance with a prosumer Panasonic AG-HMC80 camera via a HDMI to SDI converter and I noticed our signal would flicker ever so often. We might have been closer to 350 feet. This is @ 720p 60fps over Canaire 75 ohm HD-SDI cable.

evilb66

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 2:33 am

i had problems with a hmc80 (82) though a bmd hdmi to sdi battery converter a month ago. it kept flickering. even through only 50 metres of good cable and a very short input hdmi lead.
the first part of my real name is Mr B. if that's not enough for bmd, please cancel my registration to this site. then i will re-register with a new email and fake name anyway.

Scott Ryan

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 2:52 am

evilb66 wrote:i had problems with a hmc80 (82) though a bmd hdmi to sdi battery converter a month ago. it kept flickering. even through only 50 metres of good cable and a very short input hdmi lead.

I think I was using a Atomos HDMI to SDI converter because I remember taking out strands of SDI and testing with it. The Atomos converter is nice because it has built in test pattern generators so it made it easy to see if there was flickering. We ended up just taking out 1 strand of the SDI run to make it shorter but used a fairly long HDMI cable (50 feet?) to the camera, which actually worked without problems. Hoping we have the budget soon to buy a BMD Studio Converter, Camera Converters and fiber. No more distance issues with fiber!

Platon Kavvadias

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 9:42 am

I have tried 50meter with the blackmagic converter and it worked perfect.

The problem is that i need about 60-70 meters, but i might need more in an event so i decided to take the 100meter.
I think i'll have better quality rather than use extensions to create a long cable...

Nat Thornton

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Belden is one of the better cables, also they have a PDF document that states the "guaranteed" distance each signal (SD, HD, 3G) will travel down each cable type.
The venue I work in use Canare L-5CFB cable, and we regularly run HD-SDI a 100m from cameras (Panasonic 502's) to our 1M/E & 2M/E Atems & from the Atems to our Projectors.

Return to Live Production