G2 URSA Broadcast & ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

justincastille

G2 URSA Broadcast & ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K

PostMon Jan 03, 2022 10:36 pm

Hello y'all & Happy New Year,

I'm currently waiting on our ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K to ship and doing some thinking about work flow. Will it be possible to run the 12G-SDI output on the camera to the ATEM input? I read that they are 6g-SDI only, so will I need to use the 3G-SDI output on the camera for the connection? Should I scrap that and look into getting the Fiber module? Our studio space is small so I assumed SDI was the way to go, but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks for any input!

Justin

Evan Vickers

Re: G2 URSA Broadcast & ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 9:10 pm

I could be wrong, but as long as you set the camera to output what is supported 6G signal (Resolution & framerate), and you set the switcher to run the same resolution and framerate, the switcher should have no issue using the image.

https://www.optcore.net/introduction-to-sdi/
This page has a chart showing the different standards. Basically 6G gets you everything up to 2160p@30.
The 12G of the URSA is because it supports framerates up to about 2160p@60

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Re: G2 URSA Broadcast & ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 10:03 pm

The Main SDI output on the URSA's are switchable so you can send out 12G, 6G, 3G or 1.5G signals from it.

This will be determined by your camera's project frame rate combined with your SDI output resolution choice which can be found in Menu > Monitor > Main SDI on Pg 5 > SDI Output

2160p and 1080p options will be available when camera is set to record in any resolution from 2160p or up.
1080i is only available when the camera is set to a 50p, 59.94p or 60p project rate.

Return to Live Production