Help me build my intercom

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ruben Gomez

Help me build my intercom

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 2:26 pm

Here's what I have:
-4 M/E, switcher which supposedly has built in TalkBack
-Ursa Broadcast cameras in studio
-SDI, not fiber, workflow that carries video, tally, timecode, and program video back to the camera operators
-Each camera comes into a BMD 40x40 video hub before going to the switcher
-Studio mic audio coming in to the switcher via XLR from an Axxia Livewire IP audio network in a separate broadcast audio control room
-Switcher is in a rack 25 feet away from all control room stations

Here's what I need to achieve:
-Ability to select individual studio operators or other control room operators or the studio PA from the technical director's station
-Ability for each control room station to communicate with the technical director station or studio operators on demand
-Ability for camera operators to communicate with the control room

Questions:
I think this is something that other comms systems can do, such as Clear Comm? But can I easily do this via BMD, since the 4 M/E has built in TalkBack? How do I do it at each control room station AND for the studio positions?

I know about the BMD talkback converter, what is that really what I need at each control room station? I have four stations, so that would run around $10K
Besides, I thought this converter was designed to be in your rack near the switcher, if your switcher does not have TalkBack built in.

Thanks so much!

Ruben

Xtreemtec

Re: Help me build my intercom

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 4:48 pm

Unfortunately the BMD intercom is not really suited for a full intercom solution for more stations. ;)

It is just for a 1 talk group between Atem and cameras. So basically you need to add an external intercom system and treat the BMD system as 1 talk group within your external intercom system.

Add a 4W interface to connect it to your other system and thats it. ;)

If you even want to have much more control. Just forget the BMD intercom and go direct for a intercom system like Clearcom or GreenGo. I have my complete system set up as GreenGo IP based intercom. And it is great, it's flexible and has 500% more options and better audio then the BMD intercom can give you. ;)

The Atem to camera intercom solution is nice as low entry level intercom if you dont need high end intercom setup.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 1:22 am

We use constelation , ursca broadcast and talkback module .. It work .. But we have only one control room and studio with cameras .. Talk back module is very limited .. We wanted to use it for talking into studio speakers and it not worked (i dont remember , what was problem) , so we connected studio spekaers and use audio console (behringer WING) and GPI (controlled by colored buttons on microphone) ..

chuck.jpg
chuck.jpg (551.17 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Ruben Gomez

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 7:21 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Unfortunately the BMD intercom is not really suited for a full intercom solution for more stations. ;)

It is just for a 1 talk group between Atem and cameras. So basically you need to add an external intercom system and treat the BMD system as 1 talk group within your external intercom system.

Add a 4W interface to connect it to your other system and thats it. ;)

If you even want to have much more control. Just forget the BMD intercom and go direct for a intercom system like Clearcomm or GreenGo. I have my complete system set up as GreenGo IP based intercom. And it is great, it's flexible and has 500% more options and better audio then the BMD intercom can give you. ;)

The Atem to camera intercom solution is nice as low entry level intercom if you dont need high end intercom setup.

Thanks so much. I think you really understood my question and what I'm going for, which is a breath of fresh air after trying to ask the question here and other places for more than a year now. I've been looking at Clearcomm and will check out GreenGo, but I'm a total newbie. A lot of the tech. speak on Clearcomm products and sites flies way over my head; just trying to figure out which hardware I need is a bit confusing to me. haha. So I have a lot of learning to do. If you have any tips to help me decipher this stuff, let me know.

DKS Broadcast

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 12:45 pm

Morning Ruben.

This is extremely helpful.

I am hoping that you can assist me. I have a client that has an ATEM 2 M/E Production Switch & Panel, 6 x URSA Broadcast G2 Cameras, 2 6k Pocket Cams (for roaming). They also have a Hollyland Solidcom 8 pack Wireless System for all the production support staff.

based on you response, I have researched GreenGo, which I think could be a perfect fit and recommendation for my client... but I was hoping you could assist in helping me wrap my head around the configuration or integration of all the various systems into one.

What GreenGo would you recommend: MCX or MCXD?

Thanking you in advance for any help.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Feb 02, 2022 11:09 am

DKS Broadcast wrote:based on you response, I have researched GreenGo, which I think could be a perfect fit and recommendation for my client... but I was hoping you could assist in helping me wrap my head around the configuration or integration of all the various systems into one.

What GreenGo would you recommend: MCX or MCXD?

Thanking you in advance for any help.

Completely depends on customer needs.. I do have 1 Desk version for flex placing. But most of my operators are behind a desk with 19"racking in front of them because of Router controls etc..
So i have multiple MCX units mounted.

But if your client does not have a Rack that goes on location, a fixed studio or racking in front of his work places.. Then the Desk version might be better.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Linden deCarmo

PostMon Feb 07, 2022 1:13 am

Xtreemtec wrote:
If you even want to have much more control. Just forget the BMD intercom and go direct for a intercom system like Clearcom or GreenGo. I have my complete system set up as GreenGo IP based intercom. And it is great, it's flexible and has 500% more options and better audio then the BMD intercom can give you. ;)

I second this recommendation. xtreemtec recommended GreenGo to me also and I've been very happy with it. Its also extremely easy to setup and configure multiple talk groups.

Return to Live Production