Can I crop into a 4K signal in any of the ATEM Mini?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mac25h

Can I crop into a 4K signal in any of the ATEM Mini?

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 6:32 pm

I'm trying to figure out if I can have "2 cameras" (without loosing quality) by one 4K signal coming in.
Let's say I'm doing an interview and the camera outputs 4k over HDMI.
Can I have, in the switcher, camera 1 to be the full image and camera 2 be a scaled up version of the signal without loosing quality?

If not, is there a device I can use to make this happen?
Any ideas?

Thank you so much,

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Can I crop into a 4K signal in any of the ATEM Mini?

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 12:32 pm

The HDMI video inputs on the ATEM Mini only accept HD video signals up to 1080p60 resolution. So you cannot send a 4K video signal into those switchers.

There are some alternative video switchers from other manufacturers that support the kind of region-of-interest (ROI) cropping feature you describe to extract multiple HD angles from a single 4K video input. For example, the DataVideo KMU-200 is specifically designed for that kind of application, and I believe the
Roland V-600UHD has a feature along those lines as well. The Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q portable monitor/recorder also had a Titan Extract option that could do this, although I believe that product has since been discontinued (although you might be able to find used ones floating around).

Alternatively, you could use a software-based video switching approach like vMix or OBS Studio as these generally make it fairly easy to crop into a video source. In that case you would need a computer with a 4K capable capture card such as a DeckLink 4K or UltraStudio 4K device.

Jeff P

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 2:35 pm

Can your camera output a 1080 signal?

mac25h

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 5:25 pm

@Dave Del Vecchio - Thanks for this information. I did not realized the ATEM didn't take 4K in. I thought it scaled it down.

@ Jeff P - Yes, my camera can output a 1080 signal. Any suggestions?

Jeff P

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 2:27 am

mac25h wrote:@ Jeff P - Yes, my camera can output a 1080 signal. Any suggestions?

I misread your question. I thought you were trying to bring two separate cameras into the switcher.

Sorry, I got nothin'.

mariomike88

PostSat Mar 26, 2022 4:33 am

Did you find a solution to this? I am looking to do the same thing with my ATEM Mini. I have a 4K camera but would like a cropped and positioned output without losing quality. I know a 4K ATEM Production Studio 1M/E can do this, but they are a bit noisy and overkill.

Return to Live Production