Best way to record a 4K output from the switcher?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

CastleStorm

Best way to record a 4K output from the switcher?

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 7:43 pm

Hi folks,

I have the 4K Constellation switcher. To this point we've just been using it for 1080p streams. Would like to start recording the program feed in 4K. Is the HyperDeck Studio 4K Pro the way to go? It seems to get mixed reviews. Is there any way to record to a SSD instead of a HyperDeck? Apparently the HyperDeck Studio HD Plus will also record 4K?

Thanks for any insight!

J.

Asgeir Hustad

Re: Best way to record a 4K output from the switcher?

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 11:28 pm

With a HyperDeck you are recording to an SSD mostly... SD Cards are also supported, but SSDs are preferred. If what you're actually asking is whether you can attach an SSD directly to the switcher, you can't. That's an ATEM Mini Iso feature for now.

The HyperDeck Studio HD Plus, as seen on the spec page, supports 6G-SDI, which is 4k30p. The 4K Pro supports 12G-SDI, which is up to 4k60p.

For both, you can add an external SSD via USB-C if you don't want to use the "internal style" regular SSDs (or SD Cards on the HD Plus).

CastleStorm

PostSat Jan 15, 2022 12:19 am

Thanks! Appreciate the reply. This is just the insight I was looking for. :-)

Has anyone tried the Samsung T5 or T7 drives? The official compatible drives listed on the BlackMagic site are really limited and expensive.

AndyRandy

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 3:29 pm

CastleStorm wrote:Thanks! Appreciate the reply. This is just the insight I was looking for. :-)

Has anyone tried the Samsung T5 or T7 drives? The official compatible drives listed on the BlackMagic site are really limited and expensive.

Yes, I did try the T5 and T7, but on 6G (4K30p) recording and just as a means to have a backup recording.
I too did not want to spend more than necessary and we had good results so far with cheaper drives, but if you really want to make sure it works, you need to have an eye on sustained speeds over longer periods of time and this is especially where cheaper drives lack.

We did run into issues with cheaper drives, because of declining speeds over time, time-out connections, etc.
Never ever had any kind of hiccups with Angelbird drives from then on.

I am not saying it won't work, and as long as you stick to HD, you should be all fine, but 4K, more than just a few minutes - make sure you have media which is up for it.
Be the change.

CastleStorm

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 6:36 pm

Thanks for the advice Andy. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I ended up buying a few Wise Advanced drives which are suggested on the Blackmagic site so that way I should be safe. Can't take the chance of corrupt media or stuttery footage! Yikes!

J.

Return to Live Production