Focus Control Issues with Blackmagic URSA Broadcast 4k

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

cctech

Focus Control Issues with Blackmagic URSA Broadcast 4k

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 4:07 pm

I have a Blackmagic URSA Broadcast 4k and a compatible Fujinon LA16x8BRM Lens. Whether it be on the camera control itself or with a compatible LANC remote, if I try to focus on something, it will begin to focus...however as soon as I let go of the focus control, it reverts back to where it was. The zoom function works just fine, and the lens is on Servo mode. Does anyone have any insight on why this might be happening? Is there an "auto" setting somewhere that needs to be switched off?

Thanks!

robertsmu

Re: Focus Control Issues with Blackmagic URSA Broadcast 4k

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 8:44 pm

It's on the lens near the rocker.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Re: Focus Control Issues with Blackmagic URSA Broadcast 4k

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 11:58 pm

This lens doesn't officially support auto focus or focus control according to Fuji. However, we are able to drive it in some way...

If you are using the camera auto focus, or are controlling it from a switcher then clicking the front focus ring on the lens forwards into the 'Macro' position will allow it to hold focus after adjustment which will stop the behaviour you are seeing. It will allow it to auto focus, or to adjust focus from the LANC or switcher and then will hold that rather than going out of focus.

As a side note, when the Blackmagic Focus Demand is being used with URSA Broadcast G2 it takes over the focus control totally on the lens and so will hold this position without needing to use the 'Macro' ring work around. Unfortunately as the USB-C port hardware on the URSA Broadcast (G1) does not have power delivery on it, and as the focus and zoom demands were not even conceived or designed when the original URSA Broadcast was designed they will not be able to work together.

Return to Live Production