See This Mounting Solution for ATEM Mini Extreme

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mikebrowning

See This Mounting Solution for ATEM Mini Extreme

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 4:19 pm

Wanted to share this ATEM Mini Extreme mounting solution I cobbled together using a guitar pedalboard. Needs a little tidying up but it works great for a compact rig without all the dangling converters. Gives me SDI and SuperSource in a budget-friendly, ready-to-use rig.

IMG_3973.JPG
Board Top View
IMG_3973.JPG (529.14 KiB) Viewed 658 times

IMG_3974.JPG
Board Bottom View
IMG_3974.JPG (441.58 KiB) Viewed 658 times

IMG_3975.JPG
Board Side View
IMG_3975.JPG (283.62 KiB) Viewed 658 times

• Temple Audio Duo17 guitar pedal board + their quick release plates for mounting - templeaudio.com or order from Sweetwater. ($150 altogether)
    • 6x bi-directional SDI/HDMI converters to add SDI connectivity and loop outs. ($390 w/o power supplies)
    • Anker 60W 6 Port USB power supply + USB cables for the converters ($50-ish)
    • 8x 1' HDMI patch cables ($80-ish)
    • ART transformer/isolator + 1/8" Y cable - for XLR input from audio console ($85)
    • Power strip and zip ties ($15-ish)
    • Case not included
    Approx. cost for this mounting project $770
    When including a Mini Extreme, you're under $2k for a ready-to-use rig you can integrate with an SDI system

The converters each go into the ATEM Mini Extreme inputs 1-6, leaving 7-8 open for direct HDMI inputs. SDI loop outs go into my 12x12 video hub when I need routing. Also allows me to feed HDMI inputs into the router without a bunch of dangling converters.

The ATEM's two HDMI outputs run back through the last two SDI/HDMI converters to give me SDI outputs, but you have to ensure those converters have an SDI input or they will loop back to inputs 5-6.

The Temple Board has cutouts on the side, which I use for the XLR inputs on the ART transformer. This goes into Mic 1 input with no perceivable noise. You do, of course, have to use the delay feature on this input if getting audio in via this method.

I left a little gap between the last converter for running the USB-C and Cat5 cables, though it activates my OCD.

If you're not using the physical buttons, the whole board fits comfortably on top of a rack or permanently inside a 3RU shelf space.

If only using the 4 input ATEM Mini, you could probably get away with the Temple Solo 18 board.

Let me know if this was helpful for you.

-Mike B.

Jeff P

Re: See This Mounting Solution for ATEM Mini Extreme

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 9:08 pm

Nicely done.

Simple and effective.

andisailer

Re: See This Mounting Solution for ATEM Mini Extreme

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 9:33 pm

Very nice, thanks for the inspiration. :D
I've been thinking about how to use the Extreme ISO as a multicam recorder for an Atem Constellation, without the clutter of all the converters and PSUs. Hadn't thought of pedal boards yet.

Return to Live Production