Need some insight.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

viperfluids

Need some insight.

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 7:59 pm

I have never worked with Blackmagic so I am trying to figure this all out.

I am helping a local dance studio with some camera recording for their small stage area. They they would like to get above shots of the people doing their dancing and other gigs which is easy enough. The ceilings are 11 feet high so adjusting the camera after the fact isn't ideal.

I've been looking at the Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro with the Studio Converter, powering the camera with a single 10G cable. At the moment they just want to be able to record the sets and then edit them elsewhere - no live feed.

Would I be correct that I would just need the camera itself, along with the studio converter, and they could record the footage from a computer that is connected to the converter? If I wanted to cut the computer out completely, do I need to add something like the Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini to record straight to a SD card?

I would appreciate any insight. Thank you.

Asgeir Hustad

Re: Need some insight.

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 11:20 pm

UltraStudio's can't record. Get a HyperDeck to do that, but yes, all you need is the camera and a studio converter.

I'd go for a Micro Studio Camera 4K, which is intended for unattended placement in such locations. Power it locally and run a single SDI cable to where you need the signal, but those are discontinued / on halt due to missing sensors, so you'd need to find a used one.

viperfluids

Re: Need some insight.

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 12:41 pm

Asgeir Hustad wrote:UltraStudio's can't record. Get a HyperDeck to do that, but yes, all you need is the camera and a studio converter.

I'd go for a Micro Studio Camera 4K, which is intended for unattended placement in such locations. Power it locally and run a single SDI cable to where you need the signal, but those are discontinued / on halt due to missing sensors, so you'd need to find a used one.

Thank you for the response, I appreciate it.

I'll take a look at the HyperDeck instead of the UltraStudio. Unfortunately we need a new camera for this project so I wouldn't be able to buy used. Normally that is what I prefer but they want only brand new equipment. Is there another camera in stock that would be comparable to the Micro Studio Camera 4K?

Return to Live Production