Camera w4k Internal + Continuous Autofocus + Clean HDMI Out?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mediazone

Camera w4k Internal + Continuous Autofocus + Clean HDMI Out?

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 7:18 pm

Hello, I'm looking for cameras recommendation to use with my Atem Extreme ISO that can do the following:

- Internal 4k 24/30p unlimited recording
- Clean HDMI out while recording (1080p is fine)
- Continuous Autofocus
- Around $2000-2500 USD

If the BMPCC cameras could do Continuous Autofocus this wouldn't be an issue -- but I often film speakers and musicians who tend to drift forward and backward on stage, and also low-lighting scenarios where I'd like to be around f2.8 -- and I don't want to have a camera operator on all 6-8 cameras pulling focus.

I'm worried about a Canon R6 / Sony A7 IV overheating while recording 4k Internal Recording while also sending out the HDMI feed to my mixer. I saw some Prosumer camcorders, but it's hard to tell on spec sheets if the cameras drop any features while internal recording -- such as clean hdmi, autofocus, or the screen on the camera.
Mike - CoFounder of Media Zone
MediaZoneStudios.com

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Camera w4k Internal + Continuous Autofocus + Clean HDMI

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 8:10 am

Several of the Panasonic mirrorless cameras are capable of this, including the GH5, GH5S, GH5 II, and BGH1 (Micro 4/3) as well as the Panasonic S1 (full frame). Panasonic's autofocus isn't quite up to the level of recent Canon or Sony cameras though, so you may have to be a bit more careful about what situations you use it in.

You might also look at some of the Canon camcorders with a 1-inch sensor and dual pixel autofocus, such as the XA50, XA55, or perhaps even some of the more consumer oriented models, such as the GX10 or HF G60.

Return to Live Production