ATEM Mini Pro + Canon DSLR 5D Mark IV + fast lenses

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Felix-Friese

ATEM Mini Pro + Canon DSLR 5D Mark IV + fast lenses

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 9:11 am

Hi everybody,

we are doing Zoom-Broadcasts by using the ATEM Mini Pro with a Sony AX100E 4K Camcorder.

Bit I would very much like to have a cinematic look in our zoom conferences by using DSLR camera with fast lenses and plan to use my photo camera Canon DSLR 5D Mark IV with the 35mm 1:1,4 lens

However i read that the sensor of the Canon 5D Mark IV is not designed to broadcast the video-feed into a Zoom-conference as is gets hot after some time and then the camera switches off automatically.

Does anybody has some experiences and can share them with me?

Which (video-) camera with full format and cinematic look would be a good alternative?

Best Regards!

Jeff P

Re: ATEM Mini Pro + Canon DSLR 5D Mark IV + fast lenses

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 4:46 pm

How long are your Zoom calls?

You could experiment by connecting your 5D to your computer, then opening the camera app on your computer. If you're on a laptop, the camera app will automatically select the webcam as it's source, but you can force it to use the 5D by selecting the "reverse camera" icon in the upper left of the camera window. You should then be seeing the 5D on your monitor. Then just leave it on and go about your business and see if it overheats and shuts off... and if it does, how long does it take.
To the 5D a Zoom call and the camera app are the same thing -- a feed into your computer.

If it turns out that you do need a different camera, it doesn't need to be full-frame. ASP-C or Micro 4/3 would be fine for what you're doing. The Panasonic mirrorless cams are well-respected and a favorite among online streaming users. Black Magic also makes some great options.

Return to Live Production