VERY s..l..o..w to access Media tab in ATEM Software Control

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

StillGoing

VERY s..l..o..w to access Media tab in ATEM Software Control

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 11:27 pm

I’ve been living with this defect/limitation for a little while but yesterday it was so bad I came very close to pulling my hair out. I’m using and ATEM Mini Pro and an Extreme Pro. I have all of my Media Pool media in a single folder on a single drive on a local Windows machine on which ATEM Software Control is running.

But when I switch from any tab to the Media Tab it takes anywhere between 20 seconds and a minute to switch and open the tab.

I suspect I know why if you look at the following drive configuration (FYI my second NAS is turned off here but that would normally take another 4 drive letters). I assume that the act of opening the tab is building some sort of directory structure and because not all drives are local it’s taking a long time.

I would just like to configure the software to say only look on this drive, and ideally look in this one directory where, as any sensible person would do, I keep all the media I use with my switchers.

Am I missing a configuration option somewhere? Or is this a genuine defect?

6557D067-4257-48D7-8B27-D28BF2EC599A.jpeg
6557D067-4257-48D7-8B27-D28BF2EC599A.jpeg (346.48 KiB) Viewed 385 times

Daryl Toops

Re: VERY s..l..o..w to access Media tab in ATEM Software Con

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 7:50 pm

When you are running the ATEM software control on the local pc, is the ATEM media folder still located on mapped drive (X:)?

Can you move your media folder higher up in the drive list on that pc? Maybe to (E:)? If the pc doesn't have to query all of those network drives before it locates the media folder then the ATEM software should be much faster.

Worse case, you could build a new "ATEM Media" folder in a local drive (inside of the same computer as the ATEM software) and then make a shortcut to that from it's original location on (X:). You would still open X to load files, but the actual folder would be elsewhere.

The simplest solution would be to "eject" all un-needed drives from the pc with the ATEM software. If there are only a few drives to keep track of, things should get faster.
Resolve Studio 17.4.5, Threadripper 24-core, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB NVMe, Nvidia FE RTX 3080 10 GB. ATEM ME ISO.

StillGoing

Re: VERY s..l..o..w to access Media tab in ATEM Software Con

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 11:12 am

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘mapped drive’. It is drive x: which is a physical NVME installed in the machine.

How does Software Control know where any media is until I’ve put it in the Media Pool? It could be on drive A: AFAIK there is no method of specifying to Software Control "this is where my media is". If there was I think my problem would be solved.

"Eject unneeded drives" … these are ALL physical NVMEs, SSDs & big spinning drives installed in the case.

I use this machine for Photoshop, Lightroom, Resolve, Premiere, AfterEffects and many other apps (none of these running when I use Software Control) and none of them have a problem with the hardware setup. Just Software Control

To be honest it’s totally counterintuitive for an application to not have such a configuration option. I assume it’s because it’s designed for a system with one installed drive and dynamic drives plugged in via a USBc connection. I.E. not a big workhorse machine.

Return to Live Production