UltraStudio Recorder 3G and Zoom

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

frinked

UltraStudio Recorder 3G and Zoom

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 7:15 pm

newbie question:

I am attempting to use an UltraStudio Recorder 3G with a M1 Mac running 12.1 (Monterey). I have version 12.2.2 of Desktop Video Setup installed and the UltraStudio Recorder 3G is found and I have the input set to HDMI.

When I launch Zoom (version 5.9.1) I see the UltraStudio Recorder 3G listed as both a microphone and as a camera.

But when I select the UltraStudio Recorder 3G as the camera, the captured image appears to be incorrectly decoded. The picture has many vertical lines, is replicated N times, and color is green or purple,

I'm assuming I am using an incompatible HDMI input OR the recorder's capture encoding is not supported by Zoom. I do not see anything I can do to configure the UltraStudio Recorder 3G, except select SDI or HDMI.

I'm also tried using the SDI input from a 1080p60 input and have the same result.

What might I be doing incorrectly and/or how do I correctly configure the UltraStudio Recorder 3G?

Thanks.

David

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: UltraStudio Recorder 3G and Zoom

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 10:08 pm

See this earlier thread on this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=153914

Seems like the best bet for the time being is to revert back to an earlier version of Zoom, such as 5.8.6. There have been various compatibility issues with the UltraStudio capture devices and Zoom before, so it's not a huge surprise if a recent Zoom update may have broken things.

mark@mchristopherholloway.com

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 10:52 pm

Experiencing same problem with Recorder 3G into Macbook Pro, Monterey 12.1, Zoom 5.9.3.
Has anyone else found a way to rollback Zoom to test?

frinked

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 6:37 pm

Thanks.

David_Anderson

PostFri Apr 22, 2022 1:25 pm

Any updates on this? I have Zoom 5.10.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Apr 30, 2022 1:25 pm

There are several threads about the Zoom and DeckLink/UltraStudio compatibility issues on the Zoom Community forum:
https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/ ... /m-p/44741
https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/ ... /m-p/42586

Those threads suggest that the issue on MacOS should have been fixed with Zoom 5.9.6. And there was a mention of this in the Zoom 5.9.6 release notes:
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... -for-macOS

There's also a comment regarding a fix when switching between a built-in camera and Blackmagic capture device in the Zoom 5.10.3 release notes for MacOS in the above link.

Then there is a separate comment posted in the Zoom forum regarding Zoom 5.10 audio issues on Windows, but it sounds like that may be a different issue, since the nature of the problem is different and it is on a different OS.

That first thread in the Zoom forum at least has a link to download the older Zoom 5.8.6 which may be useful if there are new problems that crop up in subsequent Zoom updates.

ahendin

PostWed Jul 06, 2022 7:11 pm

Problems persist in 5.11.1 with this device. In my case, if video is passed but audio is not (despite being present on the machine as verified in Blackmagic Media Express), the workaround on a MacBook Pro/Monterey 12.4 (and I expect Catalina 10.15.7 but not yet confirmed) is to switch the VIDEO source to Facetime, then back to Blackmagic UltraStudio Recorder 3G. That starts passing audio here. I've reported this to Zoom and have been advised that the issue is "already escalated to our engineering team for further investigation".

To speak to the OP's video issues, I had problems getting settings working for video transfer with a Canon XA45. I was unable to work out an output setting that worked for HDMI, but found something that worked for SDI. Not having the camera nearby, it had something to do with PsF (or not)--one of the output formats worked, the other did not. Sorry, I can't remember which!

My audio report to Zoom follows:
>>>
Hello, Zoom. We were using Zoom 5.11.0 last week for a live show and had lots of problems getting audio to work from the Blackmagic UltraStudio Recorder 3G running latest firmware. On macOS Monterey 12.4 and Catalina 10.15.7 both. Video was fine, but audio repeatedly did not work. Made top of show rather interesting! We were trying all sorts of settings toggles.

This is not fixed in 5.11.1. Video is passed, but no audio is present at Prefs, Audio, on the meter. The failure is, however, random. I've been able to reproduce it on Monterey 12.4 as described below. I have not re-tested Catalina 10.15.7.

Our camera is connected on SDI. HD is ON, Mirror is OFF, Touch Up is OFF. Hardware acceleration is ON, Optimize with denoise is OFF. High fidelity music mode is ON. Original Sound is ON.

If audio is not working with this device, toggling the video source to Facetime camera then back to Blackmagic restarts audio.

If we End meeting and quit Zoom with the Blackmagic device active, on restarting Zoom audio is broken again, though the Blackmagic device is apparently selected for both video and audio. Toggling the video source to Facetime camera then back to Blackmagic restarts audio.

Toggling audio source to MacBook Pro mic and back to Blackmagic breaks it again, after which toggling video source to Facetime and back again gets it working.

By not working, verify from meter in Prefs, Audio.

Note also here that you cannot set input level with the slider when auto-set is unchecked: it resets to 0 immediately every time you try to raise it from 0. Please fix this too.

There have been several failures with this device, fixed in 5.9.6 and again in 5.10.3 per release notes. Please verify that this device works reliably; it is a mission-critical tool. Please verify that it does not fail when toggling between devices, or when zoom is started with device connected.

Thank you,
<<<

ahendin

PostWed Jul 13, 2022 12:40 am

Update: Zoom engineers have been able to reproduce the audio issue. Here's hoping for a quick fix.

TapeDub

PostThu Nov 02, 2023 12:00 pm

Has this been fixed, compatible with latest versions of Zoom?

TapeDub

PostMon Nov 13, 2023 4:21 pm

ahendin wrote:Update: Zoom engineers have been able to reproduce the audio issue. Here's hoping for a quick fix.
Have you had any success @ahendin ? Not working for me with an up-to-date UltraStudio Recorder 3G running the latest Zoom on latest MacOS Ventura. Working perfectly in Loopback and OBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig Seeman

PostSun Nov 19, 2023 4:11 pm

Experiencing the same issue.
macOS Ventua 13.6.1
Desktop Video 12.7.1
Zoom 15.16.6
2020 13" MBP M1
Audio works in BMD Media Express and Telestream Wirecast.
Audio does not work in Zoom, Quicktime, Garageband
Tested both SDI and HDMI
Tested changing between 32-bit and 16-bit in Apple Midi Setup.

Perhaps the issue is related to using the driver directly through an API vs Apple Apps and Zoom using Apple's Audio Setup.

I found this thread though:
I actually thought I tried this but I'm going to double check

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=115113
On my MacBook's System Preferences (Monterey v12.5) I changed the audio input to "UltraStudio Recorder". Then in my Zoom audio settings, I changed my Microphone to "Same as System".
That did the trick.
So basically, I did this:
In Mac OS, go to System Preferences > Sound > Input > and change input to "Blackmagic UltraStudio Recorder 3G"
And in Zoom, go to Audio Settings > Microphone > select "Same as System"

Link to specific post
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=115113#p883294

Return to Live Production