AES/EBU requiring power cycle of Audio-SDI converter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

pada__kwaak

AES/EBU requiring power cycle of Audio-SDI converter

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 1:27 pm

Hi,

I'm having a strange issue with our AES/EBU audio, where it would remain muted (when viewed on the ATEM Production Studio) when our DiGiCo S21's AES/EBU output was muted for like a second, which is something that may happen if we mute our audio before starting the broadcast. Like the audio works 100% until the audio to the converter gets muted. The issue happens whether I mute my input sources, mute the output to the AES/EBU or whether I pull down the faders to -infinity on the output for like longer than say a second. It does not happen if it was muted for say 100ms.

The only way to get my audio back is to power cycle the "Mini Converter Audio to SDI".
At the moment my solution around this is to send some very faint noise through it at all times, like a crowd mic that won't ever be muted.

Our signal flow is as follow: DiGiCo S21 AES/EBU output via XLR to a BMD "Mini Converter Audio to SDI" on "CH 1 & 2 AES/EBU". The Mini Converter then embeds the audio on our existing camera's SDI video feed into an ATEM Production Studio 4K.

I do not have any experience with AES/EBU and I don't have other ways to check if it is the converter or DiGiCo S21 that is at fault. Upon writing this I just thought of testing the AES on the Digico itself by looping the AES out to its own AES in, however I have a suspicion the issue is with the Mini Converter.

Any suggestions on what to do next would be highly appreciated.

pada__kwaak

Re: AES/EBU requiring power cycle of Audio-SDI converter

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 2:26 pm

I'll need to see if I can do some further testing with our Digico S21's AES over the weekend, however I improved slightly with our workaround for keeping the AES audio alive:

My current workaround is now to send a 20kHz tone at -60dB to the AES/EBU output via the matrix feed on the Digico S21.

Return to Live Production