Atem Mini Pro ISO restarts / resets while filming.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

RobertSpier

Atem Mini Pro ISO restarts / resets while filming.

PostMon Feb 21, 2022 5:00 pm

Hi all,

Last weekend, I've had four camera's (3x BMCC 4k and 1x BMCC 6k PRO) setup to record 8 hours with intervals of 2 hours and a short pause in between. I've done stuff like this in October with 2x BMCC 4k and 1x BMCC 6k Pro, and it worked flawlessly.

Issues rose while using 4 camera's. 3 of them use 40m glass fiber while the other uses a "regular" HDMI cable. I've been using the 40m for 2 camera's without issue, however, after a couple minutes of recording, my Atem seems to "complete reset to default settings" without error message or anything. Because of the earlier setup with 2 camera's, I removed one input and played with the 2x 4k and 1x 6k. This seemed to work a bit better, but the rig was still restarting after some time.

My question: how did this happen? Can I find the error messages somewhere? Anyone have any clue what to do?

All the best,
Robert

RobertSpier

Re: Atem Mini Pro ISO restarts / resets while filming.

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 9:25 am

Hi, just wanted to up this since I have a new gig coming up, anyone has any idea what it could be? I'm currently assuming it may or may not be an issue of using glass fiber HDMI with no additional power, but I'm still baffled what it could be.

eMilty

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 4:37 pm

I believe the maximum current that can be drawn from an HDMI connector is just 250mA or 300mA. At 5 Volt that is just 1.25 to 1.5 Watt of power.

It's hard to believe though that the entire switcher would shut down and reset to default settings due to this. BMD specifies that the ATEM Mini Pro uses (up to) 36 Watt of power. It's hard to believe that a few tenths or even 1 Watt of over usage would totally crash the device.
If the power supply was to shut the device down due to too much power you would expect it to turn again in the last saved startup state. You can save the startup state in the ATEM control software. If it always returns to factory defaults despite saving a startup state I would believe there is a bigger problem than just power usage.

RobertSpier

PostSat May 21, 2022 5:40 pm

So: it seems the issue is at random now, my Atem always works flawlessly whenever I use 2 HDMI connected cameras. But crashes at random between 1 second and 30 minutes whenever I use more than 2.

Would this mean something inside my Atem is broken?

Return to Live Production