ATEM 1M/E to Brightcove

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

dbmedia

ATEM 1M/E to Brightcove

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 6:13 am

I'm doing a live coverage of a sporting event and for the first time the client has asked me to stream via their Brightcove account. Has anyone done this before and what is the best way to do so?

I haven't decided yet if I will go via the USB output or Component out to an H264 encoder. Any tips would be appreciated!

Scott Ryan

Re: ATEM 1M/E to Brightcove

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 6:28 am

Personally I use a BlackMagic Thunderbolt Mini Recorder to get SDI into my Macbook Pro. Just use one of the Aux outputs on the 1 M/E to feed program to it. I'm not familiar with BrightCove, but you could use Flash Media Live Encoder (FMLE), which is free for Mac and PC. There's also Wirecast, but it costs $$$. Here's some info on streaming via FMLE to BrightCove. Video here.

The other option is to use the USB 3.0 output (tied to Aux 1 if I remember correctly) of the 1 M/E. Although I've never tried this and it seems it's very picky with which USB 3.0 chipset it works with. This thread has a lot of info on it. Hasn't been updated lately though.

Keep in mind streaming uses a good amount of resources. With FMLE you can stream up to 3 different bit rates (also depends on your host), which can be quite taxing on a computers processor and also bandwidth intensive. Make sure you aren't overloading your computer and internet connection otherwise you'll get dropped frames.

Return to Live Production